Marineland C-530 Canister Increasing Water Temperature

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Ever since getting my C-530, I have had to unplug my heater because the C-530 produces SO MUCH HEAT. My 110g tank gets to 84-85 degrees and I thought it was a combination of my wavemakers and powerhead. It wasn't until my impeller broke and I had everything running as usual minus the C-530 that my temps started to drop and i plugged in my heater to keep it around 79 degrees. Now the new impeller I ordered gets here, C-530 is up and running again and withing 24 hrs my temps are hitting 84.1-84.4 degrees. What the heck? This is about 4-5 degrees warmer than I like...my room temp is 70 degrees, I have no heater plugged in and when I unplugged the marineland to see if temp drops (even though i knew it was the culprit) within an hour it started to drop almost a degree and I'm sure it would have continued to drop. But, I Plugged it back in cause I still need a filter. Does anyone have these issues or is this excessive for this canister...I don't think this should be happening and think my motor might be heating up abnormally...Any similar experience? Is this normal?

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
I had the same problem running marineland c-360's on my african tank luckily my tank is near a window and an a/c vent so I just turned my heater to only kick in when the tank gets cold, I also do water changes 2 degrees below my desired temperature pretty frequently, I suppose you could get a chiller if you don't have any other means of cooling the tank, they are quite pricey though. I've never used one so I can't recommend a brand or anything. I'm sure somebody else has knowledge on this subject.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Thank you for the feedback...I also use water just a tad cooler when refilling...the fish seem to like it and I prefer to use as little water as possible coming from the water heater (heard bad stories about gunk in them). I definitely think there is something wrong with my canister because it literally heats the tank to over 84 degrees. If that was normal then nobody who needed to keep fish at a lower desired temp would buy Marineland canisters...and that doesn't seem like a good business plan, lol. Plus, like you said, I could use a chiller but people would REALLY have to like Marineland to justify the extra $$$, lol. I think I am just going to call them and see what they say...just wanted to see if anyone else had problems with Marineland canisters raising tank temps abnormally high...Thanks for the feedback though :)

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
yeah my temps don't get anywhere near that high i think if I let it go for awhile it might hit 79-80 degrees, but no 84. luckily I keep african cichlids with this filter and it is never to much of an issue, just do lots of water changes til you get it sorted to keep the temp down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store