uv sterilizer question

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
well i want one but im not sure how they work, i know they help prevent disease, but do you put them in the water or run hose in hose out? also whats a good one to put on 220 gallon

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
There are inline U.V.s and there are inexpensive units that are part of a canister filter. I only use my sterilizer when there is a threat of disease. The type you buy is up to you. They're getting more common and therefor cheaper.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I'm getting a 11w Eheim uv sterilizer to hook up on a Eheim classic 600.

To remove algae in the water column, it is advised to try and keep 1w per 100 liters an hour in flow through the uv sterilizer. So for me a 11w can handle 1100 liters per hour.

If you want to kill of certain germs and bacteria, it is recommended to have half of that amount.

Meaning 50 liters per W an hour.

I'm getting 2 sets of uv filters for my 190 tank, one set to kill of algae.
And another for bacterial, this is however not really necessary, as the lower flow (50 liters an hour) would kill of bacteria as well as algae.

So for large tank, such as yourself, perhaps an uv sterilizer designed for ponds would be suitable, as you could find solutions with higher wattage, which in turn could be installed to high output filters and still do the job.

Im mostly getting the uv for algae and clear water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
yea i was thinking about aquatop with uv built in but i just wasnt sure if there are better brands, which ones may work better, which ones to stay away from etc. what kind do you have

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
I'm getting a 11w Eheim uv sterilizer to hook up on a Eheim classic 600.

To remove algae in the water column, it is advised to try and keep 1w per 100 liters an hour in flow through the uv sterilizer. So for me a 11w can handle 1100 liters per hour.

If you want to kill of certain germs and bacteria, it is recommended to have half of that amount.

Meaning 50 liters per W an hour.

I'm getting 2 sets of uv filters for my 190 tank, one set to kill of algae.
And another for bacterial, this is however not really necessary, as the lower flow (50 liters an hour) would kill of bacteria as well as algae.

So for large tank, such as yourself, perhaps an uv sterilizer designed for ponds would be suitable, as you could find solutions with higher wattage, which in turn could be installed to high output filters and still do the job.

Im mostly getting the uv for algae and clear water.

i may use the same as you we have nearly the same size tank, yours is just far more fantastic to the eye:thumbsup:

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
i may use the same as you we have nearly the same size tank, yours is just far more fantastic to the eye:thumbsup:
Hehe, thanks a lot!

I'm really proud of it myself to be honest, big change from my old barren looks and plastic plants,

The Eheim is probably more expensive then the average competition, but I choose them because of availability of parts in the future. Eheims all around have a good reputation, but I'm struggling to find reviews or tests/user comments on people using their uv lights.

So hopefully I can provide some insight on this product, I will receive it on Friday. I'll let you know what I think of it then, but I have to use it a while before I can tell anything useful.

Thankfully I still have no trace of algae in my tank and I intend to keep it that way, which is probably impossible, which is why algae eaters will be my first fishes to add.

I am NOT losing these plants to algae:p spend way to much time and money to get them installed, I won't cheap out now, or else it will all be for nothing in my mind. So far I love coming home and just lie down and watch the tank, I'm just having a hell of a time choosing fish.

But I think community tank is the way to go for me.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Generally the rule is cheap uv's aren't good and good uv's aren't cheap, there are however really good uv's for less than a crappier model. It depends what you want from it, water clarification and water sterilisation are very different and some manufacturers call there product a steriliser when it's just a clarifier. Avoid ones with gimmicks like wipers or the turbo twist(terrible twists as there known). It's all about watts, flow rates and distance between water and the uv sleeve.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
Hehe, thanks a lot!

I'm really proud of it myself to be honest, big change from my old barren looks and plastic plants,

The Eheim is probably more expensive then the average competition, but I choose them because of availability of parts in the future. Eheims all around have a good reputation, but I'm struggling to find reviews or tests/user comments on people using their uv lights.

So hopefully I can provide some insight on this product, I will receive it on Friday. I'll let you know what I think of it then, but I have to use it a while before I can tell anything useful.

Thankfully I still have no trace of algae in my tank and I intend to keep it that way, which is probably impossible, which is why algae eaters will be my first fishes to add.

I am NOT losing these plants to algae:p spend way to much time and money to get them installed, I won't cheap out now, or else it will all be for nothing in my mind. So far I love coming home and just lie down and watch the tank, I'm just having a hell of a time choosing fish.

But I think community tank is the way to go for me.

well maybe you can help me with aquascaping lol but will your uv not take minerals away from your plants along with the algae?

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
well maybe you can help me with aquascaping lol but will your uv not take minerals away from your plants along with the algae?
I honestly think it would, it just seems logical to me, but according to someone who's been in the game and life longer then me, who has uv and planted tanks says it should be fine, she keeps much more fragile plants in smaller tank with almost 3 times the w strength in her UV.

So if she's says it'll work, I'm pretty sure it'll work,

If you want some input on aqua scaping your tank I'll be glad to chip in with my two cents, but it's really what you find pretty, not others. And of course what you use, I choose to use 3 different plants with same requirements to keep maintenance simple, and I find it to look good for my set up. But I envy the people with carpets and red plants, but that to me is a few tanks ahead.

I've only had tanks since December, and before that it was 7-8 years ago since I sold my last tank, and I'm 25 now, so yeah I'm just a novice at keeping tanks compared to most people here.

I just wish I love learning at school as fun as this, I literally do not think or do anything besides this hobby after my basic human needs are taken care of.

Youtube on the TV in the background right now is about planted tank competition, those things are depressing, it's like women who are too good looking, it's hopeless, not getting there with small talk and good luck.

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
well when you get your uv send me the link where you order from if online so i can find one. yea im 21 but aquascaping is my trouble idk how to add depth how much light some plants need im just winging it all lol. got a 220 with a 3" jaguar 2" jaguar 1.5" ebjd and a 5" jewel, i dont think i can do live with them though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store