wet/dry filter question when power goes out for a long time

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
in a wet/dry system the bioballs will be wet when the water is flowing but what if the power goes out for 3 days or a week and the bioballs will be completely dry? will the bb in the bioballs die? or will you just keeping it wet with tank water every hour or so?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
They'll die cuz they need constant water movement to live. I'd take them out and put them in a tank with some tank water and put a battery powered air pump to keep the water circulating to keep them alive

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I wouldnt rely on it as your only bio media because bb will die when dried out. I always kept some ceramic or matrix in the bottom also

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
in a wet/dry system the bioballs will be wet when the water is flowing but what if the power goes out for 3 days or a week and the bioballs will be completely dry? will the bb in the bioballs die? or will you just keeping it wet with tank water every hour or so?
We live in an area with frequent power outages. When the power went out, I used to add water to the main tank until the bioballs in the wet/dry filter werere submerged. After about 8 hours if the power was not restored, my husband would bring a generator home. We finally got a 20 KW generator. I think if we did not have a generator, and the power was out longer than 8 hours, we would put the bioballs in a mesh bag and toss it into the main tank.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
We live in an area with frequent power outages. When the power went out, I used to add water to the main tank until the bioballs in the wet/dry filter werere submerged. After about 8 hours if the power was not restored, my husband would bring a generator home. We finally got a 20 KW generator. I think if we did not have a generator, and the power was out longer than 8 hours, we would put the bioballs in a mesh bag and toss it into the main tank.
using bioballs as a bio media in a place with frequent power outage seems like a pain. well i think i will do this if the power outage will last for a long time

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
using bioballs as a bio media in a place with frequent power outage seems like a pain. well i think i will do this if the power outage will last for a long time
You are right. Wet/dry trickle filters provide excellent biological filtration, but a long power outage will wreck havoc with the system. This aspect of wet/dry systems and power outages bothered me a lot, and I decided to go a different route for biological filtration on my big tank. Since I made my decision, though, we got a generator that kicks on when the power goes out. A generator is peace of mind for the fishkeeper.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
You are right. Wet/dry trickle filters provide excellent biological filtration, but a long power outage will wreck havoc with the system. This aspect of wet/dry systems and power outages bothered me a lot, and I decided to go a different route for biological filtration on my big tank. Since I made my decision, though, we got a generator that kicks on when the power goes out. A generator is peace of mind for the fishkeeper.
how many hours do you think the bb will last when the power goes out? yeah a generator definitely is a big help for places like ours

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store