DEATH SHRIMP (a.k.a. Mantis Shrimp) or maybe Cuttlefish breeding

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Hello,
I am currently in high school and next year, I'm going into a science research class where I get to research a topic about biology, in my case:Breeding Mantis Shrimp/ Cuttlefish. My first question, Is it possible to breed Mantis Shrimp? If so, which mantis is easiest to breed? I've read up on the breeding habits of a few mantises and I've found that either the lunar cycle or the summer temperatures provoke breeding. Last question for the mantises, How would you go about rearing the baby mantises?
I haven't seen much in the way of rearing Mantis shrimp so I thought that trying to breed a Cuttle might be easier than the mantis since people have actually bred Cuttlefish with success. The type of Cuttle I would like to try breeding would be the Sepia bandensis, the Dwarf cuttlefish. I understand that the cuttlefish requires excellent water conditions which I could easily provide. What kind of tank do they prefer, planted, reef, species only? How do I get them to breed? How do I go about rearing the babies? Are there any special things I need to know for keeping them?
I understand that you may think that my project might be a bit expensive or complex for a high school project but I have ample experience with keeping fish tanks, over 10 yrs with fresh and about a year and a half with salt but I have done very well and have a thriving reef tank as well as I am an intern at the Baltimore National Aquarium.
Any information or insight would be well appreciated. Thanks for taking your time to read and hopefully help me out.
~Sean

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
With a deadline involved for a project, I'd forget the mantis shrimp since chances are high that your pairs will kill each other often before you find a pair that will breed. There are a couple of smaller cuttlefish species that can be raised and spawned in captivity without special or additional equipment than is used on a normal marine setup. I suggest checking out:

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/

for info on maintaining/spawning these animals. Too bad this wasn't a couple of years ago. There was a company called octopets that sold cuttlefish eggs, juvies, and breeding pairs.

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Hello,
Thanks for the reply. Do you know any other companies that might sell a breeding pair of cuttles? Also, I have hears stories that cuttlefish get really stressed during shipping, is there a company that can ship cuttles well?
Thanks
~Sean

Sent from my XT1030 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store