Bait Suggestions

zandernater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
USA
I'm starting this topic for any suggestions for good bait to use when fishing. Be sure to include what it's good for catching and what hook should be used. Any other added details are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Purging worms and then spiking the dirt with a bunch of garlic. Been doing this for a while and it seems to attract fish in general faster. Really good for catfish too I seem to catch more that way

Another good thing I've experimented is multiple baits same hook, such as a worm and crawfish or a worm and a minnow. Caught a big snapping turtle with the latter and a big bowfin with the former.

I've also experimented with leaving things like hot dogs and whole fish sitting together for a while and it seemed to be good bait. Smelled. The best bait often stinks lol.

Those sprays they sell to coat lures to attract fish better actually work IMO. But they're usually just shiny stuff and garlic so the worm thing is the same thing essentially

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
Any live bait works great.

Catfish will go after anything that stinks. I've caught them on everything from lunch meat and hotdogs to chicken livers and rotten meat.
The bowfin around me seem to hit on the same bait that cats do.

If I'm fishing for anything besides cats or bowfin, I'm usually fly fishing or tossing top water poppers.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I usually use either heal for whole nightcrawlers sprayed with garlic when fishing for bullheads.

Emerald Shiners on a walleye rig while drifting are my personal best perch bait.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
If you specifically targeting bowfin my 100% Cayuga buddy learned from his grandfather they love crawfish and we were catching tons of em with craws on lake Oneida last time we were up there

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
I like Rebel and Rapala crank baits. I'd buy one of those double sided 5 slot lure containers and load it up with some baits you like. I like a couple texas rigged worms, a jitterbug, a popper, a frog, a few various depth cranks and jigs. Go to the store and experiment with stuff. Couldn't hurt to have a few lures in your back pocket to cast while your booger fishing another line. Either that or a lawn chair and a twelve pack.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I use cut squid and live shrimp to catch sea bass, redfish, flounder, scup, and dogfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store