Do fish react to having people around?

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
So for the last two months, my fish have been at my old flat, while I have been at my new one. I was going in a few times a week to feed them and do water changes, but wasn't around too often :(

I was getting really worried about my snakehead's behavior - he was sitting on top of the filter, refusing food and was just not doing much.

I moved them over to my new flash yesterday, and already the changes are startling - he's pretty much back to normal behavior - is eating like a pig, cruising round the tank, hiding in different areas and just generally being himself.

Any ideas? Given the only difference is I've been around constantly. Anyone else experienced this?

Plus, does black sand help colours come out more?

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Meant to add, he had lost his colors a lot the last few weeks, but since yesterday, they are really starting to come up - showing he's less stressed

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Most fish need some kind of stimulation. I have a Fahaka puffer that can't have tankmates (it will eat them) and it pouts if people aren't around. I think most fish want to see other fish or people.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
You most likely improved the water conditions in the tank when you moved it. This would account for the change in behavior and color of the fish.

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
yes , fish can be conditioned to react to people , like most fishes get conditioned to become more active when people are in front of their tanks as they expect food .

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Ok I'm glad other people have noticed it before and that I'm not going mad :) and the water was pretty good anyway (nitrates stick at about 5) but guess a 100% change will have helped it

He really is eating like a pig again, which is good as he was practically starving himself.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If parameters were perfect, why was the fish not eating and not acting normal?
Just because a fish stop eating and acting off doesn't mean poor water parameters/condition was the definitive culprit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store