How far along before it's not a good idea to move a soon to be mama ray?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Asked in another thread but not getting much info....

Guessing the ray in question has less then a month left.

I either move her, or move the ATF and 10K+ GPH worth of water movement currently in the tank for them, or just kill the current and hope the ATF don't mess with the pup/s. ATF probably measure the same as the preggo ray. Problem is I'm not sure the ATF are ready for the big tank so not for sure where I'd move them to, would be much easier to move the soon to be mama, but with this being her first litter I don't want to stress her.

What would you guys do?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Moving will cause too much stress I would suggest let her have the pups and then moved her and the pups after she has had them. Especially since it's her first time If it were my ray I wouldent want her to associate having pups with stress induced by moving

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
How big is the tiger

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I would not be an expert on this, but that makes really good sense to me.
Moving will cause too much stress I would suggest let her have the pups and then moved her and the pups after she has had them. Especially since it's her first time If it were my ray I wouldent want her to associate having pups with stress induced by moving

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
you need lots of driftwood,like 30% of the bottom area of the tank all stuffed on one side of the tank for the pups to hide under.i would not move the pregnant female..give the babys lots of cover and maybe they'll survive a few hours after being born..most females give birth at night in the dark and the driftwood would give them enough cover to hide for awhile.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I prob wouldnt move her either

I dont think the tiger would mess with the pups i would say you are ok. Even if a tiger was 24"+ i dont think they would go for pups

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
After just seeing a peacock bass kill a super nice pup in another person's tank I would divide or move the mom. In my tank it didn't bother pups at all or I got to them fast enough. In another person's tank chewed in it and it died. How far is it along? Type of ray? You probably are still early enough to move her fine. With my tanks all the same water and right next to each other when I move rays it seems to be very very little stress so if it was me I would go for the move. But also you know the personality of that ray does she scare easy or not?

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
uploadfromtaptalk1401547505289.jpg this would have been a real neat pup.

I guess I'm saying I would rather do everything I could or do something and know I did it vs being pissed at my self for just taking a chance and leaving a fish in that might do real damage. But each person has to make that choice for him self.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
OK. Won't be moving her.

I do feel like I should kill the current though. The tank next to it has less then half the flow and the pups in there seem to avoid it.

Will add some more wood.

The Tigers are probably 9-10" 3Ts and a G.

Thank you guys for the advice. :)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
After just seeing a peacock bass kill a super nice pup in another person's tank I would divide or move the mom. In my tank it didn't bother pups at all or I got to them fast enough. In another person's tank chewed in it and it died. How far is it along? Type of ray? You probably are still early enough to move her fine. With my tanks all the same water and right next to each other when I move rays it seems to be very very little stress so if it was me I would go for the move. But also you know the personality of that ray does she scare easy or not?

She's due in 3-4 weeks based on gestation of the last midget to have pups here. She's also a lil Marble probably 8" across. She's never had pups before so would rather move everything else then her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store