ID shark needs help/advice. Injury or disease?

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
20140530_184707.jpg20140530_184744.jpg20140530_184801.jpg20140530_184816.jpg20140530_184901.jpg20140530_190721.jpg
I'm sorry this will be long. I tried to answer all the questions from the Fish health diagnostics sticky.

Size: 150g freshwater
Filters: 2 HOB- 1 is Fluval 110 and other is Whisper 30-60
Heaters: 2 Marina 300 W. Water temp is 82°
Plant: 1 LG very deteriorated sword plant. This is kept as a cushion when sharks spaz and slam into glass.
Fish: 2 Iridescent sharks. 1 is 16" second one is 14" (this is the fish in question)
1-10" common pleco
4- 5" hybrid synodontis
3- phantom tetra
2 - flame groumies
1- golden groumie
5 or so guppies. They keep breeding but the tetra and groumies keep them in check
Also 8-10 nerite snails. Few have passed recently so not sure of exact count.
I have a gravel bottom that is vacuumed at every WC.
Parameters are included in pics. I use just simple test strips and a sechem ammonia test. Params are at the same level they usually fall at. Pics included but everything checks out normal. I use city water for wc every 11 days using Prime. 30% changes are done.
This particular tank has been running for 4 months. Originally I had a 55g and then upgraded. When I transfered tanks I moved all the used gravel and decor including the Whisper filter that I transferred unscrubbed/unwashed.
Food: ID sharks eat New Life Spectrum Mega Fish Formula, once a day probably 10 pellets each.
Pleco eats Hikari Algea Wafers. 4 each night
Other fish eat Tetra brand Tetra Tetra min tropical flakes. One pinch a day.

The shark in question also has pics included. He is covered in white patches (definitely not ich) these started about a week ago. First only a few on one side then gradually more and more patches. These patches look more like an injury knick would almost like scuffed skin. Again it's definitely not ich. No other fish show any signs of this and the larger shark has smooth skin as always. The questionable shark is as active as normal and still eats great. He can be seen rubbing along the gravel bottom. I wouldn't say excessively but probably seen 3-4 times a day. I do have 2 pieces of decor, a small log and a medium fake rock formation that conceals my air bubbler. Both can be seen in my full tank shot. Although it is not impossible for the shark to run into, I would say that it's unlikely. They sit to the back of the tank and it's nothing that I have personally seen either of them do.
Thank you in advance for any help we receive. I love these sharks and have plans to put in an indoor pond for them when they start to outgrow the current tank. I just want to be sure and help him fix whatever is wrong.
Thanks again - Amber

20140530_184707.jpg

20140530_184744.jpg

20140530_184801.jpg

20140530_184816.jpg

20140530_184901.jpg

20140530_190721.jpg

20140530_191502.jpg

20140530_191528.jpg

20140530_191614.jpg

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Looks like a bacterial infection. With 2 ID's and a big plec your tank is overstocked, never mind the small fish. Your filtration is also very inadequate, suitable for a tank about 1/3 the size you have. A much bigger tank,or less fish, and substantially more filtration

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
The tank is definitely not over stocked nor are the sharks too big for the tank. The tank is 6' long. They have plenty of adequate space. Could I use more filtration, probably but only bc you can not have too much. Otherwise between the filters and the wc my levels are good.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
I guess not the answer you were looking for, good luck finding someone to agree with you. Bacterial and fungal infections are 90% of the time caused by poor water quality, which is in turn caused from over crowding, lack of proper filtration and inadequate water changes. Your fish's condition says thats exactly whats going on.

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely thank you for taking the time to help. If it was due to poor water conditions why would a bacterial infection only target 1 fish especially when there are fry in there that would be more prone to infection?

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
I guess not the answer you were looking for, good luck finding someone to agree with you. Bacterial and fungal infections are 90% of the time caused by poor water quality, which is in turn caused from over crowding, lack of proper filtration and inadequate water changes. Your fish's condition says thats exactly whats going on.
Pleas help me to understand filtration better.
If the Whisper rates as 300 gph and the Fluval at 500 gph that would mean my tank is turning over 5.3 times every hour. If that's not enough filtration what would be?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
One would think that with those flow rates the filters you have would do the trick but I agree with what Suprd71 has said about the infections your shark seems to have.With tanks of that size and on I like to run sump systems.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Sorry but yes your tank is overstocked even at the sizes the fish are now not to mention their potential size. and two HOB's just won't cut it no matter what brand especially for your stock... Believe me on one of my 180s I have two aquaclear 110s and 1 fluval fx6 and I'm thinking of adding another fx6 just as extra insurance plus I have two powerheads.I would say what you have is either a bacterial infection on your ID's which I'm leaning towards or fungal infection it's hard to tell from the pics but ultimately to house your stock properly you will need a bigger tank with way more filtration yes HOB's are great an I do give them credit but for your situation and stock they are way too insufficient if you really think you are not overstocked then good luck and best wishes but I just don't think your system of fishkeeping is working out for you right now.
EDIT: to add to this clear water is not always clean water and just because there is no ammonia does not mean bacterias or other things cannot thrive just because your water looks good doesn't mean it is good

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Turn over rate doesn't necessarily equate to good filtration. The HOB's media has less available surface area to colonize bacteria plus less media in general means less water is exposed to the media during that gallons per hour in comparison to a canister or wet dry pumping out the same flow. The biological short comings of a HOB had become apparent to many manufacturers and many companies started using Bio-wheels in hopes of increasing their surface area for biological filtration, something I believe your two HOB's are lacking in putting them at a disadvantage even in comparison to other HOB's that turn over the same rate of water.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
being that it's a water quality issue , anybody think water changes might be in order?...get a (BIG) sponge filter and do twice a week(big) water changes (I would use a powerhead to run the sponge filter ,for flow)...that should cover the water quality... it looks like you have .5 ammonia which indicates that you need more bio filtration...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store