Flying Fox Traumatized!

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
So I was doing my weekly water change on my 50 gal (stock is 20 neon tetras and a flying fox) and half way through vacuuming the gravel my flying fox swam right into the siphon and got caught at the gravel filter part. I broke the siphon as quick as I can and from what I could tell he seemed unhurt in anyway. It's now been ten days and all he does is sit in the corner of the tank behind a rock and he won't eat. He is normally very active and playful and is the highlight of the tank. Is there any thing I can do to make him feel better or calm him at all? any suggestions for helping a fish with "mental" issues?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Just a guess as I've never raised a flying fox or siphoned up a fish.

He thinks something (maybe you or that transparent tube fish) is trying to eat him. Unable to swim away, he is doing the only thing left that instincts tell him to do. Provide more shelter in the tank--floating plants, plants, reduce lighting some, for example. Fish do remember things.

Over time he may come out some to eat if he feels he can rapidly find shelter from you, the vacuum fish or whatever. Security is the trick. Once he has that, hunger will drive him out.

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
the tank is heavily planted with lots of rock cover and caves and holes (it used to house demasconis) i've only been using the dim blue light rather than the bright white one for feeding time. Maybe rearanging the tank some would help? I have even fed him blood worms (which he loves) and he will just let them sit on the substrate right in front of him and the tetras will get it (unheard of as he is the definitive boss of the tank). I'll keep trying but he is losing his color more and more and going on 2 weeks without food (that i have seen maybe he is eating after I leave). thanks for the advice anyway. if anybody else has other suggestions I am open to try anything as i've had this guy for a couple years now.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
get another flying fox that will definately make him feel more secure. Its kinda of funny my odessa and black ruby barbs attack my siphon and one odessa was accidently sucked up but I got him out then he immediately attacked the tube again.

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
alright fox has started eating and behaving normally again, I rearrange the tank (I actually like it way more now) and he seems to have forgotten being siphoned. I'll see what happens next time I water change hopefully it won't be traumatic for him, I may consider getting another one as well, but I think i've got pretty lucky with how mild mannered he is and how good he is to small fish. so I might not push my luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store