Red tiger lotus care?

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
I've had a red tiger lotus for 2 or more months in my 20 gallon and it only grows 2.5in off the substrate. I bought it at 2in. The leaves only get from dime to quarter size. It is under T-5 bulbs that has had coral grown under before. It is the only plant not growing in my 20 gallon. All of my other plants grow like crazy. I also have a dwarf water lilly that has a new leaf at the surface every 1 to 2 days. This is a low tech aquarium with no dosing, but everything grows like weeds in there. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Iirc red plants can benefit from a bit different spectrum of lighting then their green counterparts. Not sure if its just for them to get max color or for actual growth but it may be something to think about. Are you still using reef bulbs?

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
I have the reef bulb still on I think. I am using a very small size gravel plant substrate. The fixture has 2 bulbs and the 20 gallon is about a foot tall. I wish I had a camera for my tanks, but I do not have one. I got it when it had 3 leaves. Now it has 7, but they are all small and only 2.5in off the substrate. I do have a Ludwigia with red leaves and it is at the surface already like my other plants, so I do not think it is the color.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
You've got to get plant bulbs in your fixture. The red in the plant needs different frequency of light and your going to have to dose with iron.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
I have a monster one in my 30g. It literally takes up a third of the tank and I love it. It took a while for it to settle in, but after about three-four months it even reproduced on its own. Start off with the correct lighting and make sure you have adequate nutrients in the soil. Its a heavy root feeder, so root tabs will do more good than liquid ferts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

Mine grew very well using used reef bulbs, planted in fluorite substrate, and iron liquid ferts lightly dosed once per week. It was in a 125 gal, with about 20 medium cichlids, and I do 30% water changes every other day.
To keep it from getting surface leaves, I would pinch off any leaves approaching the top.
I would get the bulbs when a reef keeper friend changed them, about every 6 months.
I was eventually eaten by the cichlids.

perok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2012
pompano beach FL
They like lots of Iron and are heavy root feeders. About once a month you need to put a root tab or two near it.

T5 lights should work if they are 10,000K, if they are much higher than that they probably won't. However, you will get better results with the 6700K.

Red Tiger Lotis is my favorite, been growing them for years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store