India fish specificly barb experts???

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
Not sure where to post this. But I know a lot of mfkers really get down to the nitty gritty with classifications, variants, mistaken identities etc. And after scouring the Web for a site or person that can give some definitive answers, I thought I would start here.

While in Portland a few weeks ago I picked up 6 "oddesa barbs". I did a little reading, and found nothing unusual. Then yesterday, I picked up 7 more "odessa barbs" from a local shop in SeaTac called midway. I introduced the 7 new to the 6 old in the 180 I had recently set up for a barb tank, and watched. It took about 10 minutes before I noticed some significant difference between the two.

First I figured the new ones were stressed, and not colored up, but my curiosity sent me on a search for information. Firstly I will say there's been major revision to the barb group of fish recently. But, even still, the old information has 3 barbs all confused with each other. Pethia ticta, Pethia padamya, and Pethia stoliczkanus. I'm looking for information on how to accurately identify or at least differentiate between these three species.

If know of a better site, or have contact info to someone with a fair amount of knowledge in this area, feel free to send them here or redirect me to a more suitable place to ask these questions. Thanks

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Check out this http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/search/pethia site for possible help.

Definitely identifying your fish, especially if they weren't positively identified at the store, will probably just be a guess.

You could also look for scientific papers on each species, if they are available, but they often don't show actual photos.

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
Thanks, I've come across sf, and although they have a lot of info on each, I've been on a hunt instead for information on what makes them different, or if there is any quick tricks to eliminate, or reiterate a specific trait to exist only in this specie. Like telling a young mayan from a red terror, with the Y. I've also come across a few scientific pages related to the taxonomy of ticto, but after a few sentences, my adhd has me chasing a fly around the living room.

I know that the shop I bought the 7 from, orders from cichlid exchange, which is from my understanding, the distribution side of the wetspot. I'm going to give a quick call to the shop and ask where they got them, and what they where described as. Probably won't help, but worth a shot.

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
For some reason they wouldn't tell me who the ordered them from, but they did tell me they weren't ordered from the cichlid exchange. They said the list they ordered them from had them marked as P. Ticto "odessa barbs". So I contacted wet spot, and spoke with the manager. The manager was a wealth of knowledge on the subject, and told me I could order from them directly, or simply tell the shop that would be ordering to specify P. Padamya. Which is the true "odessa barb". He also explained some fin, and body shape specifics to help to easily distinguish one from another. As I said, a wealth of information. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store