Fluval FX6 help!

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
Today, I did a WC and cleaning my filters as usual. After plugging in my FX6 and starting it up, it's been making this really weird noise, the motor is vibrating and I've never heard this before... I cleaned the whole filter out again to see if any sand was stuck in the filter but there was nothing. Nothing clogged in tubes and filter is less than 6 months old. Any help will be appreciated, thanks! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If you properly primed the filter with water first and the noise is still there, you will need to take the pump off the filter and clean it. Just follow the instructions in the owner's manual for removing the pump, taking it apart and reassembling it.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Recently had this issue myself, but with an fx5. Not like there's much difference. After a cleaning that I did it started making a humming and vibrating noise. All I thought was, great so whatever I cleaned was hiding the impeller being worn out. Took it apart again. Nothing, turned by hand and felt nothing at all and didn't look worn out. I'm particular with my wires and how my FX sits in my stand. I moved the wire going to the pump and it stopped. Then started again. Moved the whole FX and moved the wire and it hasn't done it again. Also had that happen when I didn't tighten the screws on the pump all the way down.

Now that being said, what's your substrate and did you clean it well first? You mentioned sand so I hope you let it settle before turning it on? Could've already damaged your impeller making this sound in the first place. It doesn't take a whole lot to do it, particularly with the bad design of the pump being on the bottom. It allows the larger sediments to go right to the pump sadly.

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
Recently had this issue myself, but with an fx5. Not like there's much difference. After a cleaning that I did it started making a humming and vibrating noise. All I thought was, great so whatever I cleaned was hiding the impeller being worn out. Took it apart again. Nothing, turned by hand and felt nothing at all and didn't look worn out. I'm particular with my wires and how my FX sits in my stand. I moved the wire going to the pump and it stopped. Then started again. Moved the whole FX and moved the wire and it hasn't done it again. Also had that happen when I didn't tighten the screws on the pump all the way down.

Now that being said, what's your substrate and did you clean it well first? You mentioned sand so I hope you let it settle before turning it on? Could've already damaged your impeller making this sound in the first place. It doesn't take a whole lot to do it, particularly with the bad design of the pump being on the bottom. It allows the larger sediments to go right to the pump sadly.
Thanks for your reply, should I take apart the motor part and clean it out? There is sand that gets into the canister and the bottom but I always clean it all out. I'll clean the filter again in a bit

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
Do u guys think my tank will be ok for the next 6-8 hours with the FX6 off & just an AC 110 running with lots circulation from powerheads. I'll be going out right now so I don't have time to clean out the motor for the FX6. Thanks! :)

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1401644033.210776.jpg

cassd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
montreal
It should be fine what stock do you have in the tank are they sensitive fish or hardy fish?

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
You won't have a problem with anything without the filter. Unless you dry the media out, you'll lose the cycle.

But yes, I would try to clean the impeller and all out, reseat the seal and try again. If you have problems getting the impeller out just pull a bit harder. It can be a pain. Use a brush, clean out the impeller and the housing. After that, just rinse the "bucket" of the FX out and refill with water. Might want to consider using a finer pad to prevent the sand from getting down there. If you're noticing sand at the bottom, more than likely it's getting into the impeller and damaging it. So that could be what the problem is. I hope not, but if you're hearing a sound there's likely sand in it scratching away.

Anil Dongol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
i have bought new fx6 and impeller motor doesnot worked. firstly it start for one minute and pause for two minute and again start for onet minute and automatically stop. lastly it doesnot start. please kindly me somebody to fix these kind of problem with new FX6 fluval canister filter

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
i have bought new fx6 and impeller motor doesnot worked. firstly it start for one minute and pause for two minute and again start for onet minute and automatically stop. lastly it doesnot start. please kindly me somebody to fix these kind of problem with new FX6 fluval canister filter

The filter will shut down for approx 2 mins every 24 hrs(I t hink , or every 12hrs) and purge any air in the system. Did you install everything correctly?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store