Long term fish

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
I've been on here a few months now and often see post dating back a few years showing someone's recent purchase of a baby monster fish(rtc's, aros, various tiger fish, etc) and for a few months these threads are well updated but then poof, nothing. I want to see or here of some big fish that you bought many moons ago as a 3" cutie and have grown into a full blown beast, or is it a case if buy it when it's small then get rid of it when it starts getting beefy? Any stories or pics will be great.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
tbh i have done it many times as i am irresponsible, in the past i have impulse bought fish that i wasnt ready to designate my entire 300g too... in my defence ive found them suitable homes, my wyckii i bought at 12 inch and he is 16-17 inch now in a year so i will be a few more years before he is a 28 inch monster, hopefully i still got him!-)

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
I know most fish take years to attain monster size and most people haven't owned the fish long enough yet, but I really like before and after pics, really shows the growth. And yeah tbh there are too many impulse buys, probably less than half of them end up being kept in appropriate housing. But this isn't about housing, that always leads to an argument here, haha, just want to see and here of the grow outs.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Couldn't find the clicks of other monsters I have. Here is one :)
Before
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1401612872.576932.jpg
Now
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1401612896.122083.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Hez meaty orite :p

I've had him for 2 odd years. Check this underwater video
[video=youtube_share;kwJ2MdLAKro]http://youtu.be/kwJ2MdLAKro[/video]

The Aros too were lil fingerlings too. They infact have bred recently and have 30 odd lil fellas :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Not particularly monstrous because my largest rank is only 150 gal, but I picked up these Acarichthys heckelli little over 3 years ago at <2".

Today they are about 8", I expect them to top off around 12" in another couple years

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I usually keep fish as long as possible. The only reason I get rid of any is because of aggression.
When I was younger I found out the hard way that its best to learn as much as possible about a the fish I am buying. It was an Oscar that I bought on an impulse buy and only had a 20g. A guy at my LFS said an Oscar can live for life in a 40g, so I thought I had some time. I ended up upgrading to a 55g, and then to a 75g. Because the Oscar was getting too big. This was before the Internet so I didn't have that to get info.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I usually keep fish as long as possible. The only reason I get rid of any is because of aggression.
I'm pretty much the same way.I can't stand for my fish to fight or even chase each other around lol,I'll tolerate it up to a point before I decide someone has to go.
I have raised fish(Emperor Cichlid)from two inchers all the way to near two feet in length and had it for quite a few years before it died.Currently,I have an almost two foot armatus that I have lost track of how long I've had but I got it very small and it's been at least three years now.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I started over about 18 mo ago and got rid of all my CA. I have a couple agressive community guys now. A 20" Leitchardi aro and a 12" RTGG. my agressive have their own tanks. A 12" Fahaka puffer in a 150 show and my lungfish in 125's. I have a ft long Tig and a bunch of bichirs around 2'.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store