Will this work?

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
Just bought a 'Reef Ready' 180g. (2) Corner overflows with (2) drilled holes per corner.

I want to plumb the overflow drains and returns to my canister filters for a closed loop system.
The drains are 1" PVC using a straight siphon. Is this too much flow/pressure for a canister filter (fluval FX5)? I would hate to blow an O-ring and leak out.

The FX5 comes with 1" ID hose but I know from my previous tank, that a straight siphon can move way faster than you'd expect.

Thoughts?

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I'm pretty sure people on here have done what you're looking to do..that said, I think the hardest part is matching the overflow water rate with the pumps on the canisters..good luck :)

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
A friend of mine and my cousin have reef ready 180s. They plugged the drilled glass at bottom of overflows and dropped the fx5 intakes into the overflows. I'm not sure if actually utilizing the overflow bulkhead to hook up the fx5 intake would hold up in the long run. 1" gravity can flow 600gph. Now you will have the pump helping along to do more. I would think it would be bad for the motor
Just get a 40 breeder and build a sump.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Why not use a sump and have better versatile filtration? What you are planning will give less efficient filtration. If you can even make it work.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
I'm pretty sure people on here have done what you're looking to do..that said, I think the hardest part is matching the overflow water rate with the pumps on the canisters..good luck :)
I don't think the flow rates have to match exactly, as long as the siphon never runs dry and burns out my fluval motor. If there is an excess of water, the o-ring in the fluval should hold that pressure and the motor would never run dry (is what I'm hoping)

A friend of mine and my cousin have reef ready 180s. They plugged the drilled glass at bottom of overflows and dropped the fx5 intakes into the overflows. I'm not sure if actually utilizing the overflow bulkhead to hook up the fx5 intake would hold up in the long run. 1" gravity can flow 600gph. Now you will have the pump helping along to do more. I would think it would be bad for the motor
Just get a 40 breeder and build a sump.
Im hoping the excess of overflow water allows the motor to never run dry, and the fluval O-ring can contain the pressure so it will never leak.

Why not use a sump and have better versatile filtration? What you are planning will give less efficient filtration. If you can even make it work.
I would much rather use a sump, but space will not allow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store