A little bound up.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
My Saum is constipated. Two days ago I dosed his tank with 1 tablespoon of Epsom Salt per 5 gallons. This has not had the desired effect as of yet. I know that I used a similar method when my Flowerhorn had the same issue and it worked beautifully. The things I cant remember is how long it took to work and if it doesn't work after so long should I add more Epsom?

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Is he eating at all? Can you get a few shelled green peas into him? I wouldnt keep the tank salted for more than 4 days, and if you do a w/c between, redose the new water.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Is he eating at all? Can you get a few shelled green peas into him? I wouldnt keep the tank salted for more than 4 days, and if you do a w/c between, redose the new water.
Nope, he isn't eating or else I would use the pea method. I guess I could net him up and throw a couple peas in him, I just didn't want to stress him out.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Yeah, I wouldnt net him out. How big is he and how long since he ate last? Wonder if he has picked up an internal parasite. Maybe a dose of API General Cure, or Kanaplex after the Ep salt?

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
He is a good 10". It's been about 4 days since he has ate. He is swimming around fine but uncomfortably. It seems like he has to try a bit harder to breathe than normal and he looks like he has a full belly. He actually has a bit of blackish greenish poo coming out now. It's very small but hopefully it leads to bigger things, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Well I have done a water change, and redosed the tank at 2 tablespoons per 5 gallons. Still has not ate, and is getting a bit more lethargic. He has a string of brownish green poo but it doesn't seem to be enough. Hopefully by morning the new salt dose helps.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I had a Flowerhorn that ate nothing for a VERY LONG TIME and recovered. You might have to give up on the salt and try something else. What is the last thing he ate? The green poo is strange to me.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
I had a Flowerhorn that ate nothing for a VERY LONG TIME and recovered. You might have to give up on the salt and try something else. What is the last thing he ate? The green poo is strange to me.
Well I have read that sometimes people have had fish try to consume a whole algae waffer and that has caused blockage. I do throw wafers in for my plecostomus sometimes, I don't know if that would explain the green poo or not? Its just a small green transparent string. The last thing that I fed him was small pellets. I can't remember if it put wafers in or not that night. I don't know if I should just give it more time or try to force feed peas or something. He is going on week and a half of not eating.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Well he still has a swollen abdomen and is still not eating but he seems to be feeling a bit better. He was just putting his noise in the back corner of the tank and not moving, now he is swimming around and acknowledging when 8 come up to the tank. I tried feeding some peas, but he didn't want anything to do with them.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Well I am happy to report the salt seems to have worked. His belly is getting smaller by the day and he has his appetite back. Been feeding him small amounts of Thera-A. Thanks for the help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store