Ever seen a stingray dig?

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
So I've got a very younge male hystrix hybrid. He would be 7 months old. For the past couple months or so he seems to be digging in the sand. And no he's not covering him self for defence. It looks like he's biting down into the sand and using his body to flush away sand. He leaves deep pockets in the sand, and he mostly does this when the lights go out. Anyone ever experience this or know why?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
Looking for food most likely.. Mine starts rinsing the sand when they are hungry..

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Mine do that all the time. The just blow in the sand, in the wild they'd be looking for worms and things like that. Perfectly natural

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
Mine do that all the time. The just blow in the sand, in the wild they'd be looking for worms and things like that. Perfectly natural
X2 all my rays do it, it's usually that or swimming up the walls of the aquarium is the way they say they are hungry. Even though they are always hungry!

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
Haha mine used to swim up the glass I think he liked the current. He would swim on the glass towards the current and just hold his position but he hasent done that in a couple months now he just digs through the sand but I don't miss feedings. He's still on blood worms and he gets cut up pieces of shrimp every second day. What else do you guys feed your rays as there appetite grows?

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Feeder cichlids and ghost shrimp. I used to feed my ray frozen shrimp, but he never has accepted bloodworms or earthworms.

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
My rays appetite grows by the day it seems! I've tried lots of stuff, but there is nothing they love more than a big juicy nightcrawler! 2 or 3 of the big ones and they are quite content for quite a while. They usually let me know they are finished gorging themselves by burrowing in the sand.

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
I've got a bichir in the tank who eats nightcrawlers, maybe ill throw an extra worm or two in there to see if he will take it.

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
Well I put an extra earth worm into the tank for the stingray. Took him a while to find it but when he did holy moly he attacked it. After chewing on it for a while the indo datnoid decided he wanted the worm and he stole it lol...didn't take long and the stingray decided he wanted it back then there was a tug of war but the stingray won. He seems to be still crushing it but hasent swallowed it yet. Thanks for the tips everyone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store