I'd this DAT?

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
Judging by the chart, i can't tell if its Siamese or Indonesian. I'll have to take a better picture of it with a better camera. Btw I didn't say it was a new pickup. So yea... Check out my new pickup lol

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
+1 on 3 bar indo datnoid. It is not stable enough to determine if an extra small bar is present though.

You should get it and raise it if the price is reasonable. Datnoids don't lose value as they grow. That little IT can be worth a few hundred dollars if it reaches 10"+ in a few years. I just drove 2 hours to get a 3 bar 2" IT in hope it will grow nice. It's been 90% stable and looking nice.

Datnoids are easy to identify.

Siamese (ST) are almost, if not, pretty much extinct in the wild and you won't find any juvenile. Their prices usually go up to $2000+ now, if you ever ever find one. They would stay stable all the time, meaning not fading in color, and their bars are thick and slanted. Datnioides Pulcher IS the holy grail of Datnoids.

Indonesian (IT) can have 3 to 4 main bars on their bodies. Their bars can be split or forked. They are usually common in the market with NTT (thin bar). Their bars on their bodies also might not always be symmetrical (for example, one side can have 3 bars and the other might have 4). Their bars are not as thick as the ST and they would be less stable. Most IT also have an extra bar in the tail section. I have heard, correct me if I am wrong, that 3 bars and 4 bars IT are collected at different locations in SouthEast Asia even though they are the same specie.

Northern Thai Tiger (NTT) aka Thin Bar have the thinnest bars and have gold-colored bodies. They are usually the most unstable and skittish as juvenile. They get stable in the later stage of their life. They are commonly available in the market.

New Guinea Tiger (NGT) have thick, undetermined bars that blend with their yellowish/gold body. They may look darker than other and are a little bit rarer to find in the market today ($300-$500). They are the most territorial ones of the bunch I heard.

Silver aka American datnoids are silver with thin bars, usually 4 on each side. They might have slight faint markings between their stripes. They are also commonly found in the market as well. No, they are not from America btw.

There is also the Controversial/Cambodian Tiger (CT). Don't quote me on that one. Looks like a morph between IT and ST to me. Some people claim they are ST descendent since most ST are aged up to length. Some say they are ST from Cambodia. Other say they are just a commercial name for stunner IT that just turn up into a ST look alike. Give me a "Latin name", then I would believe CT really exist. If a CT is ever found to be a different specie by a ichthyologist, then I would believe a CT belongs in his own specie. Really nice fish in my opinion but to me, I wouldn't pay $1000+ for them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
I sorta have better pics. Just did a water change and it looks a little less stressed. Taking a good look at the IT (Thanks for the I'd guys) I noticed it has 3 bars on one side and 4 on the other. Does this make it somehow special. Here's some pics and tell me what you think?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1401901981.098537.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1401901998.654388.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1401902042.515486.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store