Was wondering if I could make a 4 foot cube out of two 55 gallon tanks

memfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2013
alabama
Petcos dollar per gallon sale is coming up and I was thinking about getting two 55's and using the 4 foot pieces to make a cube. I was wondering if the glass would be thick enough, if a plywood bottom would work, and what kind of bracing I would need for it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Glass is fine but needs bracing at the top. It is thin but is under no more pressure as a 200g than it is as a 55g.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
This is correct. I think most 55's are tempered glass. That would be a bonus in the strength dept. I would get some glass strips and run eurobracing around the top. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

memfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2013
alabama
Well it looks like I'll be giving it a try.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Never heard of anyone cannibalizing new tanks just for the glass. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Used tanks sure.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Never heard of anyone cannibalizing new tanks just for the glass. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Used tanks sure.
Makes sense to me. $110 + tax for a tank that size? Why mess with used. Heck, used 55 on CL is $150 LOL.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I wouldn't tear apart two brand-new tanks, either. It is possible, there is a thread about a guy making a super-long (maybe 12') tank out of smaller ones and it turned out well. I think good bracing will be the key to making it work. If you want to try, I would look for some used tanks - I picked up two 55 gallon tanks for free on the side of the road a couple years ago. Then again, the used tank market seems to vary a lot from place to place....

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
It can work but I promise it will be more than 110 bucks before it is done. Be careful and brace it properly. Then you have the issue of attaching a bottom panel, most plywood builds have a lip the glass presses against. And then theres the hours of work tearing apart 2 tanks and fabricating the trim and bottom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store