something wrong with my jardini

dragontw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2014
new york
My jardini hasn't been eating, when i throw in a cube of bloodworms it opens it's mouth slightly and attempts to eat it but then backs off. Before this recently start happening it would usually take the whole cube into it's mouth then eats it. Does anyone know what's wrong with it?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Seems its skittish and scared of you. Mine wouldnt eat in front of me from 3-7 inches. Its a pain but they really warm up to you later on. Try to leave the room after you throw the food in and come back 2-3 mins later.

dragontw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2014
new york
My jardini hasn't been trained to eat pellets yet, i been trying to get it onto it but still no luck. I will post the water parameters tomorrow when i have time to check it, I did a water change last night and all it does is nibble on the bloodworm and then leaves it.

dragontw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2014
new york
it usually eats when i'm in front of the tank since i cut the bloodworm cube into 3's. It even allows me to touch it so it isn't skittish or scared of me anymore. I also tried leaving the room for 2-5mins when i come back the bloodworm is all over the tank but not eaten.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Hmm maybe hes a bit tired of blood worms? My local petsmart's stopped carrying hikari for some strange reason and now they carry omega which is a good food but they are smaller portions.. But my fish love the omega carnivore and favor it over blood worms.

http://www.omegasea.net/products/nutrition/freshwater-carnivore-formula

But hes probably just not hungry, mine went a month without food as I was trying to get her on pellets unsuccessfully. They way I got mine on to pellets is leave the blood worms (or frozen food) to thaw in the fridge and then mix in half a pellet in each cube. Next batch you can add a bit more and then after a couple of weeks he'll take pellets easily after two three days of starving.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store