Monster Macrobrachium

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
I recently came across this video of the single most impressive live M. rosenbergii I've ever seen. From the tip of the chela to the end of the uropods, it has to be pushing 24". Has anyone here been able to raise a major male to such enormity? I know this species is aquacultured as a food source in many countries, which leads me to wonder if the countless generations of inbreeding prohibit the commercially available individuals from reaching such gargantuan sizes. I believe it is safe to assume the specimen in the video is from wild blood lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIPrNQi8NKM

As I mentioned before, this is the most impressive live rosenbergii I have seen. This dead specimen just may take home the trophy...

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Does no one else find these creatures bad @$$?!

aromaster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2006
Mauritius
I've eaten bigger :p

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
That would be so badass sauteed in butter and garlic........mmmmmmm

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
While undoubtedly delicious, I think it'd be awesome as a specimen in a 120 "stout". These things are savage aggressive! Would make for one heck of a spineless wet pet!

shipmonkey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
US of A
One of our local grocery stores has 4/6 Fresh water shrimp for sale right now. The tails are near that size.

Veneer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
One of our local grocery stores has 4/6 Fresh water shrimp for sale right now. The tails are near that size.
Definitely the same species, M. rosenbergii. This species is very widely aquacultured.

The giant forms don't show up reliably in the pet trade (though for instance it's not unheard of to see juvenile M. vollenhovenii entering the European hobby from West Africa) but M. carcinus and M. heterochirus extend into the southern mainland U.S. and Puerto Rico (and of course elsewhere in the Caribbean).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store