ID This Gar Please!

Young_Fish_Keeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2014
San Antonio, Tx.
Purchased this gar about 2-3 Months ago, bought it for $55 labeled as Spotted Gar, Did i hit the Jackpot orrrrr? if you could please tell me how you can confirm, Thanks!IMG_3022.JPGIMG_3023.JPGIMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3024.jpg

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
so far, all the gar for sell in LFS in TX labeled as spotted gar came from Florida, so they are just Florida gar. if you want a spotted gar I think you can catch them around your areas.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Any lake or slow moving stream. They spawn in your area in April. By the end of the month or the first couple of weeks in May they will be 1-3" long depending on how warm the weather is. They look like Brown pine needles. Look for them in north facing sloughs or bays around wood and weeds in the water. Seldom more than 1' deep in the water. Get a net and wade slowly and look. On the Tennessee River this year I caught a ton of them. Just go slow and get some good polarized sunglasses to take the glare off the surface. Good luck. P.S. they spawn at the same time as largemouth bass.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
They are egg scatterers. One female will have up to a dozen males chasing her in the shallow backwaters. Once you see or hear the adults , the babies will be big enough to see and catch in a few weeks. Once you see one baby gar, they really stand out then. I have caught over 100 in a couple hours. Just keep a eye out for the adults cruising the banks and start looking for them in a couple weeks. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store