New aro owner, mild concern.

aaronrules33

Gambusia
Jun 4, 2014
California
Hey all, new to the forum and to owning aro's but I've done a bunch of research and decided to get three silvers about a week ago for my 120g, no other tank mates.

I'm aware this is a temporary home for them and have plans for later in the year, currently they are about 6" and until today been getting along fine. Now they seem to be nipping, and I just want to make sure this isn't going to become problematic. So far I don't see any evidence of injury, but I'd rather not wait til then to do something about it.

I have kept them well fed on freeze dried shrimp, planning on varying the diet with hikari and other things as we go along.

My plan is to add a few feeders, minnows not goldfish, and hope they can nip those and not each other. My real question is will this help or hurt the issue, or am I being overly cautious and this is typical behavior?

Thanks for any help in advance

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rayshot1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
California
I would say until you see Actual damage from nipping I would not worry about it, nor make any changes.. but you have yaken on a task housing 3 of these with thought of upgrading may i ask what gallons were you thinking?

aaronrules33

Gambusia
Jun 4, 2014
California
I figure if I start worrying about it now, I'll be in good shape when the time comes but from what I've read I believe it should be in the 250-300g range at the very least, right?

For now I'm keeping my eye on craigslist while also looking into what it would take to build my own. I know the pond route is a common one although it's not really an option for me. Am I close on my expectations, at least?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Best when attempting arowana communities is to have away to house the arowana seperatly when things go bad. They can go bad rather quickly, and without immeadiate action you'll likely loose one or two. If you see one of the aro sitting at the bottom of the tank you'd better get it moved.

As far as tank size, your gonna need alot more the 250-300 gallons to house 3 adult silver arowana. Better figure on at least an 8x3' footprint. Having a taller 30" tank will also help add more swimming lanes.

Seems the info youve read is inaccurate, hopefully you did read somewhere as to the extreme jumping nature of these fish. Make sure you have taken the extra precautions in order to keep the fish in the tank.

Good luck with your arowana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store