Motoro on pebbles

polarshrey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2012
India/coimbatore
Hey guys, I have an Asian Arowana in a 225 gallon aquarium, with two eheim 2217 and an under-gravel filter. My substrate is smooth round pebbles.. Now my question is are pebbles ok for motoro stingrays and if so how many can i keep in my 225.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
No gravel is generally not a good idea. Soft sand is the best or no substrate at all. With gravel they will still try to bury but be unable to and stress about it. Also they kick up a lot of water when they try to bury which would mess up the under gravel. To keep rays you really need to switch out to sand and upgrade your filters. Rays are the bad combination of very messy and very sensitive to water quality. Not having a great filter is a recipe for future disaster. A large wet dry sump, a couple of FX5 or FX6, or a large fluidized bed filter is necessary forms long term success. Large weekly water changes a must as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
No gravel is generally not a good idea. Soft sand is the best or no substrate at all. With gravel they will still try to bury but be unable to and stress about it. Also they kick up a lot of water when they try to bury which would mess up the under gravel. To keep rays you really need to switch out to sand and upgrade your filters. Rays are the bad combination of very messy and very sensitive to water quality. Not having a great filter is a recipe for future disaster. A large wet dry sump, a couple of FX5 or FX6, or a large fluidized bed filter is necessary forms long term success. Large weekly water changes a must as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Everything he said and depending on dimensions your 225 is likely to small long term. Motoros can get 24"+ disc size that would be around 36"+ tip to tail (near a meter long) you'll likely have to upgrade in the future.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

polarshrey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2012
India/coimbatore
hmm well my 225 is 6x2x2.5(lxbxh). I really dont know why 2 eheim 2217 are enough because i have twice the required filtration capacity with them, and i am planning to change to a sand substrate now....

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
hmm well my 225 is 6x2x2.5(lxbxh). I really dont know why 2 eheim 2217 are enough because i have twice the required filtration capacity with them, and i am planning to change to a sand substrate now....
With 2ft for depth within 18-24 months (assuming you get pups) they will be touching the glass front to back tip to tail. In time their disc alone will get wider than your tank. So this would have to be a very temporary grow out tank.

Hystrix stingrays are similar but stay much smaller and could be permanent inhabitants of your tank. They aren't too expensive either.

Ignore the "ratings" on your 2217's. Rays are far more sensitive to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate than typical aquarium fish. The smallest spikes can cause disease or death. They also produce FAR more ammonia per unit of body weight than other fishes. They basically breathe straight ammonia. It's due to evolutionary changes in their osmoregulatory systems adapting from salt water to fresh. They cannot store ammonia in their bodies and produce extra. If you want a more scientific explanation search the stingray threads on here and gurus like zoodiver have posted a wealth of useful information I would recommend reading before acquiring a ray.

Good luck

polarshrey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2012
India/coimbatore
With 2ft for depth within 18-24 months (assuming you get pups) they will be touching the glass front to back tip to tail. In time their disc alone will get wider than your tank. So this would have to be a very temporary grow out tank.

Hystrix stingrays are similar but stay much smaller and could be permanent inhabitants of your tank. They aren't too expensive either.

Ignore the "ratings" on your 2217's. Rays are far more sensitive to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate than typical aquarium fish. The smallest spikes can cause disease or death. They also produce FAR more ammonia per unit of body weight than other fishes. They basically breathe straight ammonia. It's due to evolutionary changes in their osmoregulatory systems adapting from salt water to fresh. They cannot store ammonia in their bodies and produce extra. If you want a more scientific explanation search the stingray threads on here and gurus like zoodiver have posted a wealth of useful information I would recommend reading before acquiring a ray.

Good luck

Oh ok, thanks allot for the advice......

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
I have a motoro and retic on gravel. Not sharp and they have been fine for months . They actually bury themselves and have no scratches or any problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store