Stupid flat fish...

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
So I keep looking for inexpensive clean up fish for the tank...

Happened to walk into the LFS yesterday and find a great deal on 5 inch tin foil barbs that someone had brought in. Of course I grab a few for the tank thinking they're big enough to survive... Nope.

I walked out of the room for 5 minutes come back and it's nothing but scales!

My young leo/pearl/ss female was on one of those barbs like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat!

She was the last one that I thought would be eating the new tank mates.

Oh well I guess we will see how many are left when I get home later. Back to the fish store. Lol
Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sounds like you need to feed those poor things better. Lol

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
It can be surprising to see but not uncommon. I watched my old 19"henlei take a 10" pacu within seconds of hitting the water. Took some serious poking and prodding to get her to let go

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
It can be surprising to see but not uncommon. I watched my old 19"henlei take a 10" pacu within seconds of hitting the water. Took some serious poking and prodding to get her to let go
Lol...no surprise at all. The shocker is that the rest of them survived (so far). :)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Do you ever see Lemon fins? I've had better luck with Lemon fins then tinfoils, thought they looked nicer and seem to be better at avoiding the pounce.... But they get big. lol

Just can't trust the sneaky flatfish..... :irked:

mantilla

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2008
australia
Had trouble with lemon fins aswell. Ive lost my fair share of barbs. There biggest problem is they rub there body on things in the tank. Sometimes being the rays tail and get barbed. Just last year I love about 12-15 25cm plus barbs, And it wasnt due to under feeding as I feed alot. Call it bad luck call it natural instinct but keeping anything with rays is risky

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Damned flat fish, caught my 10" Armatus just a while back. Luckily I was in the room and seen all the scales flying everywhere. By the time I got there 4 of the 6 rays were piled on top trying to get to him. I shooshed them off and he shot out, didnt eat for 4-5 days but is eating again now.

How big do the lemon fins get?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store