Ray with Oscar?

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Just curious if anyone has housed their ray with an oscar? I was thinking about perhaps getting a baby oscar, unless of course that is an absolutely bad idea.

Thanks all!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
uploadfromtaptalk1402090302862.jpg

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I had a problem with an oscar.
He was about 10 inches and was the only one with my 3 rays.
He must have been nipping at them cause my rays stopped eating.
I guess it's all in the fish and maybe not all of them would be a problem.
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
How big is your ray? They are pretty aggressive predators and may take down a baby oscar if its small enough to cover with its disc

chris85

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
uk
I had an oscar with my rays for 6months plus then he started picking on my pearl ray didnt bother the others wierd i know but it can be just hit and miss with oscars sometimes try it just be ready to seperate or move if the oscar starts being naughty.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
i think oscars are great but im sure they could nip at the rays much like alot of fish though.

along time ago i had an oscar with my rays and i thought it was big enough but there is a pic on here somewhere where the oscar is pinned upsided down against the glass by one of the rays.
the rays will allways try to chew anything they can find in my experience. so you need to make sure whatever it is is able to look after themselves.

i think a decent oscar would be alrirght but i recently had a problem with a smaller geo nipping at a rays tail which left the ray with a short tail.

as with everything you just have to keep an eye on them. anything with preditors is a risk, you just have to be carefull..

good luck .

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
uploadfromtaptalk1402264657613.jpg

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store