Moving fish to new tank

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
So I will setting up a 150 in a few weeks and ordered a 2262 now and wanted to set it up on my existing 55 gal to start cycling it. It would be much easier if I could move all the fish into the 150 at the same time along with the 2217 once the 2262 catches up I can move the 2217 back to the 55 and 're stock it. Will try and explain...

55 gal has 2217 and ac50
4.5 to 5 inch bumblebee oscar and 3 inch asian bb catfish. The oscar has shown 0 aggression towards the cat. He does attack the glass when he sees my phone or my hand. Dont know what he will do with other cichlids.

30 gal has ac110
2 to 2.5 inch clown loach and a 3ish inch a. Metae.

Can I put all of them in the tank together or is the oscar too big ? Do the others have to grow a bit more?

If I can move them all I can use the media from the ac110 to seed the 2262 and the ac110 for mech only along with the 2217 then eventually move the 2217 back to the 55

Also could I add a small group of geo red head tapajos or 1 severum (rotkiel or red) to the 150 ? Would that be o verstocked?

Sorry this was so long

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Have you considered using a bottled bacteria product to start cycling your new tank? If you have, I would suggest that once the new tank is set up with substrate, decor, heater and the 2262 filter, you also move over the 2217 temporarily for a couple weeks AND the Oscar & catfish. Leave the AC50 on the 55G tank. I think this would allow the 2262 to mature with the help of the 2217 filter and the bottled bacteria product. You should still keep an eye on the water parameters via tests.

You will probably have to set the 2217 filter on a bucket, crate or other elevated item so it can easily fit the new tank and when you're ready, just transfer it back to the 55G tank.

I think this will the easiest and less confusing method.

Sorry I can't advise on fish compatibility.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Have you considered using a bottled bacteria product to start cycling your new tank? If you have, I would suggest that once the new tank is set up with substrate, decor, heater and the 2262 filter, you also move over the 2217 temporarily for a couple weeks AND the Oscar & catfish. Leave the AC50 on the 55G tank. I think this would allow the 2262 to mature with the help of the 2217 filter and the bottled bacteria product. You should still keep an eye on the water parameters via tests.

You will probably have to set the 2217 filter on a bucket, crate or other elevated item so it can easily fit the new tank and when you're ready, just transfer it back to the 55G tank.

I think this will the easiest and less confusing method.

Sorry I can't advise on fish compatibility.
I was going to use safestart had success with it in the past. Thanks I didnt even think of the height being an issue...will use something to make up for the height difference

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
If you have already established filters you're moving over then don't waste your money on safe start. And just squeeze old media into the new media and you will be fine.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Jaws, I neglected to mention that I personally prefer to use the fish-less cycling method using clear non-sudsy household ammonia. I have found this to be the best method although it does take upwards of 5-6 weeks to attain a cycled tank. I've used this method on a dozen tanks with excellent results. I think it also gives you an opportunity to get a hands on understanding of the bacteria cycle process in conjunction with testing the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

However, in a pinch, when I needed to set up a bunch of 30G tanks, I opted to use StartSmart Complete, a bottled bacteria product, to immediately cycle the tanks. It appeared to work as advertised and I was able to very lightly stock these tanks with juvenile cichlids under 1" that I bought at auction.

I agree that using mature or established filters is also a great way to go if it is easily done. Power and sponge filters easily accomplish this but in your case, you will need to make arrangements with the 2217 due to the height difference in the tanks.

Everyone has a preferred method for setting up new tanks but I think that as long as you follow the basic rules, any of these methods should work.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thing is I want the 2262 to be able to handle the bio load asap so I can move the 2217 back to the 55 and restock it. Will definitly squeeze old media into it and putting the safestart directly into the canister as well.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Jaws, I neglected to mention that I personally prefer to use the fish-less cycling method using clear non-sudsy household ammonia. I have found this to be the best method although it does take upwards of 5-6 weeks to attain a cycled tank. I've used this method on a dozen tanks with excellent results. I think it also gives you an opportunity to get a hands on understanding of the bacteria cycle process in conjunction with testing the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

However, in a pinch, when I needed to set up a bunch of 30G tanks, I opted to use StartSmart Complete, a bottled bacteria product, to immediately cycle the tanks. It appeared to work as advertised and I was able to very lightly stock these tanks with juvenile cichlids under 1" that I bought at auction.

I agree that using mature or established filters is also a great way to go if it is easily done. Power and sponge filters easily accomplish this but in your case, you will need to make arrangements with the 2217 due to the height difference in the tanks.

Everyone has a preferred method for setting up new tanks but I think that as long as you follow the basic rules, any of these methods should work.
Thanks deeda in have two cycled tanks already and test every few days so im covered on that aspect. The plan is to move the cycled 2217 and the install the new 2262 on the 150. Use an ac110 for mech and take the bio from the cycled ac and put it in the 2262 along with safestart (used in the past and cycled tanks in less than 5days) once i feel the 2262 is cycled I will move yhe 2217 back to the 55.
Will compensate for the height difference for the 2217 and will also squeeze any media from existing filters into the 2262.

Am I missing anything ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store