HELP - BICHIR PROBLEM - blockage? fungus? parasites?

mirkogulliver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2014
New Zealand
I have a 165L tank with three fish which I have had for 5 years - a black ghost knife, albino bichir and a spotted climbing perch. I usually feed them a diet of ox heart, peas, blood worms etc. Recently I bought a small can of freshwater shrimp (not dried) from animates and it said on the can you can feed them to fish. A few days after I started feeding the shrimp, I noticed a lump under the flesh of my albino bichir near his tail. I wasn't too alarmed because he's had similar lumps before after eating a big meal which usually disappear within a day or two. By the next day it was far more swollen and red, the scales were slightly sticking out and there was a small piece of white fluff attached to it, which has since fallen off.

At first I thought the tail/exoskeleton on a shrimp has gotten caught in his digestive tract and it seemed to be pushing very hard against his side and very nearly piercing his scales. There is quite a lump and the scales are poking out. I fasted him for a day, then fed him peas a few days ago. I increased the temperature to 29 - 30 degrees and I have bathed him three times in an epsom salt bath made with aquarium water and 1 tbsp of epsom salt/3.8 litres (1 gallon) for 15 minutes. I fed him more peas last night after fasting him for a day or two.

I contacted my cousin who is a vet and he is not sure that his gut is perforated as he would be looking very sick if this was the case, or dead. I don't think it's an injury because when it first appeared, it was only a smallish lump under his scales with no discolouration. I did a 50% water change yesterday. Strangely enough he's not looking very miserable at all - the lump has been there for about 4 days, he's very active this morning, zooming up and down the tank. Has anyone had similar experience? The inflammation is quite severe. Some people suggested it could be a parasite? Or maybe a fungal infection? But it all happened so fast. This tank has been healthy for 5 years with no diseases... other tank mates look fine. I took more photos this morning so I'll attach them below. If I isolate him, what treatment do I use? I don't have much experience or knowledge with diseases... I have melafix. Is that safe to use on a bichir? What would be most effective? I don't want to stuff around trying different things if they aren't going to help him - that can't be healthy. Please give me your suggestions!!
View attachment 1017871View attachment 1017872View attachment 1017869View attachment 1017870

mirkogulliver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2014
New Zealand
I have tried epsom baths, melafix, then tried prazaquantal and that all did nothing so I did a full water change (using cycled water) and have started adding sea salt, he's in a 14 gallon and I added 4 tbsp but he looks worse. Very quiet and sometimes clamped fins ... The bump is slightly bigger and more inflamed looking and I'm convinced it's a blockage. The only feces he's done in weeks was like a black cotton thread. Tried peas but he won't eat them...

mirkogulliver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2014
New Zealand
Thanks for your response - I have already added about 6 tbsp to his 14 gallon tank.. I read that sea salt shouldn't be mixed with medicine treatments? Should I discontinue salt, do another full water change then start tetracycline WITH pimafix or melafix? Thanks in advance :)

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Who told u not to mix sea salt with meds? Salt and med combo are good. I prefer using epsom salt than sea salt as many sea salt have different amounts of elements being mix unless it's pure none factory process sea salt. Those factory process salt might also harm your fish more than do good.

mirkogulliver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2014
New Zealand
Just something I read online.. I have tried epsom salt baths but no effect. I suppose epsom salt and sea salt work in different ways as epsom is laxative and sea salt is not. I'm using organic unrefined sea salt. Will try to buy some tetracycline online as they don't sell in shops here . Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store