Shark pond

danster9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
laguna
Hello fellow shark/ray keeprs, so i decided i want to build an outdoor above ground pond i most likely would like to keep bamboos, coral cats, ect ect. the pond dimensions i was thinking of where 10 feet long by 3 feet wide by 3 feet deep. would this work??? i know how important width is even though sharks are alot more flexable than other fish.Also any recommendations on other species of sharks or rays i could keep would be great. also any fish species that grows rather large aside from groupers,eels. I guess im looking for active dither fish lol PS. here in SoCal our summers are very warm so im not worried about water temp. for winter i will put a few titanium heaters in multiple different places to heat the pond.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Sounds like a good size for the sharks you are hoping to have.
The only thing I'd suggest is putting the heating elements in line so they aren't in the water with the sharks.

danster9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
laguna
Sounds like a good size for the sharks you are hoping to have.
The only thing I'd suggest is putting the heating elements in line so they aren't in the water with the sharks.
What species do you think I could keep with those dimensions? Also how many? I Know it depends on how large your biological is but how many would be happy in there

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
You could keep most of the Bamboo, Cats or Eppies with that size enclosure. Number would depend on species. You could keep a few brown bandeds, or if you go with a smaller shark like a coral catshark, you could keep several.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Not to discourage, but what about rain? How would the dilution and it's impact on salinity affect the sharks? Never seen an outdoor saltwater pond (though I never looked).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
It is something to be aware of, but it would take a very heavy rain to dilute it enough to stress out the sharks. Most sharks can handle low salinity without issues. I run some of my display tanks at 20ppt. If you run something this size at the typical 30ppt, it would take a couple hundred gallons of rain water to get the salt level low enough to worry about.
The other thing to do is create an awning out of patio screen. Some sun and rain will get through, but it will block a lot of it.

NovaSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
Panama city Florida
i would recommend a chiller as well to help keep the temp in the pond stable. If its outdoors in the southern cali it could easily get up to 100 degrees in the summer. I was wonder how are you going to keep the nitrates down? Water changes or chemicals? A lfs near me used a chemical in a 300 gallon shark and ray tank, just because they said it would cost to much for water changes. I dont remember what chemical they use but one ray and shark has been in that tank for over 2 years now and are very healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store