HELP My Rays!

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
WTF is going on here??? ph 7.6, ammonia <.25ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 80ppm. Tank was totally fine until three days ago when I noticed 2 of my bichirs has bloody red bellies. I have treated with melafix and aquarium salt. The bichirs bellies are back to normal but my rays are acting funny and my big female has a red bottom and excessive goosebumps. Her belly is not as red as in pics but you get the idea.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Just thinking out loud trying to help. How long ago did you do a water change? If your nitrates are 80 and ammonia a little and you just did a water change and already worked on stuff a little, your water parameters get even worse normally.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Rays are a somewhat sensitive fish. They are prone to ammonia issues and although you dont have a ton, you do have some and shouldnt. 80 is relatively high for nitrate too. Id start with lots of cleaning and water changes. Good clean water can do wonders for various issues and ailments and always a good place to start

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
The parameters are fine. It is something else. My ammonia is just barely above zero and that was tested shortly after dumping in a few dozen crawlers

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Possible ammonia spike which has since dropped? How are their behaviors as for as feeding? Personally I am not a big mela or pima proponent but that is me. Have you added any salt?

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
They definitely are not happy. I added lots of aquarium salt and only used melafix due to a lack of other options. If ammonia spike, i don't know where it came from. I am familiar with ammonia burn on the bottom of a disc but this looks different...

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Their appetite comes and goes, which is unusual because they usually eat until they can barely move. I was up all night searching for answers but still empty handed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store