Medium to Large Fish in 150Gallon+ tanks

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
What kind of fishes of the medium and large size do you keep in your planted tanks (Besides angelfish and discus)?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
still trying for ideas dude!-) i would start with 1 cichlid, 1 catfish, 1 eel, 1 charachin, and a knife fish.... nice bit of variety

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Look at my 75 gallon thread in my signature. I have upper jaw bichirs, rainbows, rainbow cichlids, thread fin acaras, electric blue dmepsey and electric blue acara, pearl gourami, congo tetras

I might also suggest pike cichlids, most other gourami species, red line torpedo barbs, other cichlids that don't eat plants that are around 5" in length or so, geophagus can sometimes work, knifes like black ghost knife, brown ghost knife, african knife, ctnepoma, smaller snakeheads can be kept in planted tanks (not sure on specific species), you can have a lot of options that would probably work if you are willing to experiment and take some risks on the whole plant and fish combinations.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
still trying for ideas dude!-) i would start with 1 cichlid, 1 catfish, 1 eel, 1 charachin, and a knife fish.... nice bit of variety
I never knew it would be this difficult for me to choose fishes.

I discover something new everyday and i keep changing my mind.
I've 'rediscovered' rainbow fish and small community fishes.

But there is nothing out there that has yet got me completely hooked, but Hujeta Gar or Rocket Gar (not a true gar) is getting there.

I've been thinking a large shoal of red pencilfish, but they seem very fragile and could get aggressive to one another together with some bolivian rams and dwarf angelfish (leopoldi angels, but they are really hard to get by, only one fish shop in my town has some, but they are not for sale, and they only managed to get them one time during the last 10 years..)

But I like your idea, going to see what type of fishes that combo i would choose.

Also HybridHerp, going to check out your 75 gallon thread... thanks!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
blue lobster are cool although not fish a fair option... what about the plants, could they thrive in brakish waters... brackish fish can be very interesting

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I also "rediscovered" community fish trying to stock my tank. Instead of a med to large fish, try a
school Tiger Barbs or Red Sepae (sp?) tetras, I love em in my tank! :D

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Big piranha species love planted tanks and wont touch them except by accident during feeding. Makes them settle in too. Just not the most exciting fish IMO but can be impressive when done right. Id look into various types pf snakehead also but that may just be because I cant keep them here I think they are more appealing

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Big piranha species love planted tanks and wont touch them except by accident during feeding. Makes them settle in too. Just not the most exciting fish IMO but can be impressive when done right. Id look into various types pf snakehead also but that may just be because I cant keep them here I think they are more appealing
I used to keep channa obscuras in a 120 gallon, I really loved them, but very docile in between feedings.

I want constant movement in this tank, snakeheads IMO is not going to be right for me.

But they are excellent with plants.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store