Need relatively easy care plants for 125g

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Cryptocorynes. Wendtii in the mid ground. Spiralis along the back and sides.

Java fern tied on the DW would look great

Heres my 125. Yes I know the top is a mess :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1402167194994.jpg

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I was going to mention crypts and on the driftwood id tie java fern and or anubias. All are low light low maintenance plants and that driftwood is begging for some bright green color! Maybe even moss if you like the look. Doesnt get much easier than java moss

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
I never had good luck with moss. Maybe it likes cooler waters?

Totally forgot about Dwarf Sag. Spreads like crazy when it's happy. I used to pull out bags FULL of it when I had 2 shoplights on my tank like once a month.

Wisteria is good too, but can get crazy when it's happy; though I never like the look of it. Maybe it was TOO green? Good in a nursery tank or QT.

Stems are OK.. but kinda labor intensive. Plus you've got blasting sand? as a substrate which would make planting and staying planted difficult.

Crypts and Dwarf Sag do well for me with minimal maintenance. Higher Ph out of the tap here in NE..Anubias does well if you can keep it shaded. Low light, maybe a few root tabs every few months. 50% WC weekly.

I do inject CO2, but at a lower level cuz the fire eel gets spazzy if I crank it up. :(

Good current with powerhead..

That pic makes it look like I got a *lot* of light, but it's only a 4 foot 2 bulb shoplight raised 6" off the top. And I still get a little BBA. I don't think you'll ever get rid of it completely. If you do let me know how you did it!

RayStruth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Hendersonville, NC
The sand is Seachem Black Flourite and I've never had a problem keeping anything planted but I try to put them in relatively deep so the catfish don't dig them up. It does get a good amount of light, I have a small anubias on a piece of wood that isn't in the tank that always had atleast a little BBA on it. I usually just squirted it with Peroxide and killed it. I've done wisteria and it grows well but I never really liked the look of it, I just kept it for spaces for the fish to swim and hide in. I've tried chain and micro swords and I could never get it to spread with tabs and liquid fert and liquid CO2. Actually the only thing I've ever had really blossom was wisteria which I never liked. I may try to get some moss and put it on there I just need a good place to get them since I have nowhere around here that really sells plants (or knows what the plants actually are)tank.jpg
that was before I took all the plants out and re-arranged it.

tank.jpg

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
My opinion is that you need fertilization of some sort to avoid the BBA, since the BBA will grow better when the plant growth is poorer. Flourite doesn't really have nutrients in it....you'd be good getting some root tabs and looking into fertilization.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store