Single oscar in a 50 gallon?

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
We will be moving some time this year, and when we visited the house this evening my room is kinda small and I can only put a max of 3ft length tank in there, as some of you guys know I have my O in my 60 gallon right now. But will a 50 gallon will work? No tankmates, no decors. Maybe I can push it a little bit 36x20x20".

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
How many months or years can I put him in there? He's atleast 6-6.5" now. If I can't put him there for atleast 1-2 years. I'm gonna have to find him a better home which is heartbreaking

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
3ft tank is not big enough for a 6in Oscar. A healthy Oscar grows about an inch per month, sometimes more for the first 8-9 months of their lives. At 2yrs they should be well over a foot long. Keeping in a small tank will greatly reduce its lifespan.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I had 2 Oscars for 8 years in my bare 55g. Just make sure water quality is kept at its best. I ran a diy sump made out of a 20g tank which added another 10g to the water volume. Do not overfeed and make sure to siphon out any uneaten food and fish-poop. Probably would be a good idea to have a good HOB filter like an Ac-70 or 100 to run too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
I had 2 Oscars for 8 years in my bare 55g. Just make sure water quality is kept at its best. I ran a diy sump made out of a 20g tank which added another 10g to the water volume. Do not overfeed and make sure to siphon out any uneaten food and fish-poop. Probably would be a good idea to have a good HOB filter like an Ac-70 or 100 to run too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I will have a 15g sump for the filtration of the tank and also a diy 2ft plastic planter overhead filter. Is that sufficient for a single O? We will be living in that house for atleast 2 years. So he will be at the tank for two or more years

DBLN8

Dovii
MFK Member
Why try and squeeze a fish with the potential to get 12"-14" long in a 36" tank? knowing long term it wont work. If you can't provide him with a 48" tank I suggest you re-home him and and get something that can live in your tank comfortable for many years.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
Why try and squeeze a fish with the potential to get 12"-14" long in a 36" tank? knowing long term it wont work. If you can't provide him with a 48" tank I suggest you re-home him and and get something that can live in your tank comfortable for many years.
I know. As I said I don't have the space in my room to fit a 48" tank in the house that we are moving in. Also in our place here in the ph there aren't anyone I know who take fishkeeping seriously. So it's difficult to rehome him

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store