Help with my 55 gallon

lyfeoffishing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
florida
I know this isn't a monster tank but I can't get a huge tank till I finish college. Anyways I have just set up my 55 gallon tank that will house:
Cardinal tetras
Herquline rosabora
German blue rams
Kuhli loaches
Some kind of cory cats

The tank has some anubia nana on driftwood and I will be getting some type of floating plant don't know which yet (help if you can).

Now I have it setup in my bedroom and I am somewhat lost on plant ideas for the tank. Here is a pic of the tank.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1402179071.600397.jpg

I would like to add something behind the coconut hideout and then behind the driftwood (was thinking jungle vals but idk)?

I have two T8 light fixtures that came with the tank. Not the best I know will upgrade in a few weeks to LED lights. But regardless I will be low/low-medium light at the best.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Various anubias, java fern (I especially like the windelov version), bolbitis heudelotti are good to attach to the driftwood. Some floating plants could be dwarf water lettuce, amazon frogbit, watersprite, hornwort.
You can also plant the watersprite. Anacharis, vallisneria, certain aponogetons (my favorite is ulvaceus), dwarf sag, banana plants, amazon swords, cryptocorynes are also hardy and don't need much light. There is more I'm forgetting I'm sure.

Have a look at bamaplants.com as he does put in the description most of the time the requirements of the plants and their eventual sizes and such. He also has wonderful pricing.

Since rams like warmer water I would get sterbai cories. They are pricier but so lovely :) Tank looks great so far!

lyfeoffishing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
florida
Various anubias, java fern (I especially like the windelov version), bolbitis heudelotti are good to attach to the driftwood. Some floating plants could be dwarf water lettuce, amazon frogbit, watersprite, hornwort.
You can also plant the watersprite. Anacharis, vallisneria, certain aponogetons (my favorite is ulvaceus), dwarf sag, banana plants, amazon swords, cryptocorynes are also hardy and don't need much light. There is more I'm forgetting I'm sure.

Have a look at bamaplants.com as he does put in the description most of the time the requirements of the plants and their eventual sizes and such. He also has wonderful pricing.

Since rams like warmer water I would get sterbai cories. They are pricier but so lovely :) Tank looks great so far!
Thanks mate for the plants I'll have a look at them and that website. As for the corys I'm not 100% on them yet I have my tank set at 80F also

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Mmmm, if you are staying with low light, I recommend things like swords, crypts, java fern, hygrophilia species (most of them would work).

I might also recommend to you that you light your tank with like....a fugeray or something, if you want a good but also cost effective LED. Planted+ might be good as well but I'm not sure the PAR on that or if it will be too much lighting. Also, learn about fertilization now, it will help you immensely.

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
A lot of cories are going to have a shortened lifespan at 80F so if you do decide on them again I recommend sterbais.
Be sure to research the temperature requirements of your other fish. Seriouslyfish is a great resource if you don't know about it already :)

Can't wait to see what you go with, the tank is going to look great(er).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store