What's the biggest moray and what's the minimum tank to house 1 for life?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
What species of moray gets biggest, and second biggest in case the first one is boring, and what is the size of the tank I'd need to house a massive one for life? Never done a saltwater setup, any other requirements or tips i should know about? Literally just want 1, max 2, but probably 1, to grow massive and be in there solo.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I believe the bigger is the Gymnothorax Javanicus.

As thick as your leg.

I would say that the minimmum would be a 1000 gallon set up, but do not take my word for it.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ha I wondered if it would be something massive. Okay second biggest? Any cool ones I could keep in a 180-250 range for life?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Second biggest is the Green Moray ( i believe Funebris )

You can keep a lot of species in a 250 gallon....

It depends on what you want. Piscivore, mollusk eater?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Probably piscivore, mollusk eater sounds like it may be harder to feed, what's your take on either?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Ha I wondered if it would be something massive. Okay second biggest? Any cool ones I could keep in a 180-250 range for life?

Haha ya you're not gonna be able to keep ANY of the largest morays in their for life. There's some really really nice looking morays that are smaller but can live in that size tank for life. My favorites are dragon, fimbriated, tesselata and zebra morays. The tessy gets the largest, around 6ft so a 240 is definitely pushing it but the others max around 3ft

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
What would be a good size for the tessy for life then? Getting i can probably keep the others in a 180-250 for life so I won't have too much to worry about if I go that route, but if I wanna go tessy, what tank should I aim for? Thanks for help btw.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Yeah, if you are looking for a moray for a 180-250ish, you'll be limited to the smaller half of the species. Many of the bigger get 5-7 feet and need a LOT of space to move around.

Purple mouth Gymnothorax vicinus would be a good choice. 32-36"
Yellow head Gymnothorax fimbriatus is another good option. 28-34"

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
For a Tessy, I wouldn't go any less than 400g honestly. They move around a lot at night and they put out A LOT of waste. You also want to get the largest footprint possible. At least, the same length as the eel is long and half what it is wide but that's the bare minimum. You can definitely keep a tessy in a 250 for a while though before it outgrows it. The first year is where you'll see the most growth then it slows substantially.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Great information, thank you guys. Any other tips for keeping them? What should I know about rocks or keeping eels in saltwater in general? Thanks again for the replies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store