What are these marks on my ray?

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I noticed yesterday that my male motoro had 1 mark at the edge of of it's disc that looked kinda like a mouth ulcer in humans... I wasn't to worried as I thought I must have done it on the heater or drift wood and it would heal but now there are more! It's only on 1 side of the disc, no redness or rotting at the edge these marks are the only problem, he's still active and eating good

I have PFS substrate

Amo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate trace
Ph constant 7.2
Not sure on gh?

Only new addition is an endli bichir but it's small and the damage doesn't look like bite marks

PicImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1402228977.098825.jpg

Here is the pic

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
so you do have your heater exposed? it looks like heater burn to me what temp is your tank at? I've seen rays getting close to the heater because the tank was to cold.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
so you do have your heater exposed? it looks like heater burn to me what temp is your tank at? I've seen rays getting close to the heater because the tank was to cold.
Thanks! My tank is kept at 80f, yea they are exposed and I have been thinking about getting guards but never had a problem until now, I'll head to my lfs tomorrow and get some better heaters :)

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
Thanks! My tank is kept at 80f, yea they are exposed and I have been thinking about getting guards but never had a problem until now, I'll head to my lfs tomorrow and get some better heaters :)

I keep my tank at 82 but thats just me I've heard people keeping there tanks 78-86. you don't have to go out and buy new heaters just go buy a heater cover :)

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I keep my tank at 82 but thats just me I've heard people keeping there tanks 78-86. you don't have to go out and buy new heaters just go buy a heater cover :)
They don't sell covers in any of my local lfs unless it is already on a new heater and they are getting old anyway lol time for an upgrade and I will keep them as spares

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
i have a ray with a bad heater burn on its back. or so i think it is atleast... and there are no heater guards for eheim jagers... what is a good med i can use to heal and prevent fungus? is stress coat good?

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
You can make your own diy heater guards. Check YouTube
I cut the tops off plastic soda bottles to make mine.
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
i have a ray with a bad heater burn on its back. or so i think it is atleast... and there are no heater guards for eheim jagers... what is a good med i can use to heal and prevent fungus? is stress coat good?
Raise the temp to around 84f and I would add aquarium salt to help speed up healing and prevent infection but make sure you dissolve it in a jug first, I would just keep the water perfect and add salt unless you already have a fungus problem? I wouldn't like to recommend any specific meds to you because rays are so sensitive, try the search or make a thread and someone more experienced will help you for sure :)

Why don't you look into making a guard like the post above says ^^^ gonna look now :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store