Sump recommendation

ikkie78

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Neenah, WI USA
Hey guys...just curious what size sump would you guys recommend for roughly a 800-1000 gallon aquarium? Just trying to plan some stuff out here before we get our house and I can start on my dream tank! :D

ikkie78

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Neenah, WI USA
I want to do something similar to Jc1119's sump on his 300 gal where he used the filter boxes and pulled the water through the media...do most people with a tank of this size run one sump or would it be better to run two sumps? Right now I'm looking at a 120" x 48" x 30"... Would a tank this long still use two over flows or would four overflows be better? I figure if I used 4 overflows I could do two sumps but wasn't sure if that would cause issues in a power outage with overflowing the sumps or if one sump failed and the other kept running...any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I would try and do atleast a 125g sump. Bigger is better of coarse. You could probably get away with a smaller sump if you had to. All depends on setup, stocking, media ect ect. I robbed my sump design from John (JC1119) and I love it. I will never have another sump design unless I'm rich enough to have playboy bunnies clean if for me, then I will do one with baffles, bio balls and filter floss lol.

If you click the link in my sig you can see my sump setup. I actually posted new pics of it yesterday after my yearly overhaul. HTH

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ikkie78

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Neenah, WI USA
Love your tank! And thanks for the advice...I beleive the dimensions i'm looking at would put me at like 750 gallons if I remember correctly...do you think those pond boxes in the sump would handle the pump sizes I would need? I know they say there rated for 2000 gph but I would need more that that with a 750...i'm assuming that if I had a a 2500 gph pump on each box that shouldn't be too much of an issue and give me 7x turnover.

My wife already said I can go as big as I want with a tank but i'm not sure i'll be able to convince her of your playboy bunny filter design! haha :D

Oh and if I have the room and end up putting it as an in-wall setup with a room behind I figure one of those 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks would probably work pretty good right?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
For a tank around 1000+ I personally would go for a moving bead filter rather than a sump

ikkie78

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Neenah, WI USA
I'm thinking I'm gonna try and go with a 750...120x48x30...maybe a hair wider but that's what I'm thinking right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
With a tank that size, I would try to use as many different filter designs as possible, if you got the room.
I'm saying, use a big sump, use a big pond bead filter, use a moving bed filter.
It's all good;)...
Get as much water flow as possible.

I'm using a refugium sump (700) gals/ hr. and an ultima 11 4000 at 3800 gal/ hr. All on my 560 ray tank.
And I'm still working on a 55 gal bio- reactor.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ikkie78

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Neenah, WI USA
OK thanks for the info...I'll take a look at the other filters you mentioned...only ever used canisters before but then again 90 gallons was my biggest tank so this will be a considerable size increase!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
Generally I feel your sump should be around 1/3 the volume of your tank. So if you are going to have a 750G tank I'd aim for the 250G sump size. The extra volume will give you a bit of safety for the sump to not overflow in a power outage. Also with a 750G tank I imagine you will need quite a bit of flow in the tank. Having a small sump that flow will be screaming through there pretty quick. Not ideal for bio media.

I'd also recommend looking into the big sand/bead filters. They are quite good and would make maintenance a breeze with the back washing feature.

ikkie78

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Neenah, WI USA
Thanks...I'm hoping that the house we find with be setup so I'm able to house all the maintenance in a room behind the aquarium that way I won't be limited to what fits in the stand...I'd like to do an in wall setup with external overflows. I'll look into the sand/bead filters as well...thanks for the help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store