Purchasing used aquariums and tempered galss

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
If you are purchasing mostly used aquariums how do you tell if they are tempered glass or not? Also do most tanks just use the tempered glass on the bottom or the whole tank?

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
If you are purchasing mostly used aquariums how do you tell if they are tempered glass or not? Also do most tanks just use the tempered glass on the bottom or the whole tank?
There is a way used a light source and polarized sunglasses. YouTube has great videos showing the process.

Or the easiest way is to try drilling them...

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Or the easiest way is to try drilling them...
If the glass looks thicker than what is on a newer tank the same size, you can pretty much bet it isn't tempered. Aqueon publishes on their website what their tanks are. Also older tanks are mire green.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Is it best to just drill the back and use an elbow?

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
Depends on size of tanks to have tempered glass... If used sometime previous owner wouldn't take out the tag the manufacture has slip into the braces. Either way I would NOT DRILL to find out if tempered or not unless u want to through out the tank in the process. And yes to be safe back of tank with elbow is the way to go"drill".. good luck.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
+1 polarized glasses... when looking at it at an angle you'll see a repeating round spot pattern. Try it on a known piece of glass so you know what you're looking for. Your side car window will have it.

-1 drilling... even easier method is to just drop it! But not smart for testing and neither is drilling.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Depends on size of tanks to have tempered glass... If used sometime previous owner wouldn't take out the tag the manufacture has slip into the braces. Either way I would NOT DRILL to find out if tempered or not unless u want to through out the tank in the process. And yes to be safe back of tank with elbow is the way to go"drill".. good luck.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thank you. Any advantage to using a sweeping 90 elbow over a standard in this case?

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
thank you. Any advantage to using a sweeping 90 elbow over a standard in this case?

standard is always better than 90 elbow.. less restriction on water flowing down, unless going 1 size bigger...

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Tempered isn't as common as you would think. The only ones it is really common on is 55 gallons. After that, it is commonly only the bottom pane that is tempered. I would check to be sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store