What's happening to my planted tank?

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
In my 40 gallon planted tank I'm starting to see a lot of changes now that things are establishing well... But not all of the changes are for the better so trying to figure out what's going on...
1. Glosso grass never took. Some stems are still holding on but not expanding, just staying green.
2. Scarlet Temple is growing well, but the plants more towards the mid ground are getting algae on the leaves, where the ones in the back appear cleaner. Too much direct light?
3. Water sprite... many stems are browsing and dying out with maybe slight algae on them, but New healthy stems are also sprouting (kind of cool how they unroll almost overnight)
4. Micro sword never took all died off.
5. Argentine sword some leaves are slightly browsing some have holes in them and "chunks missing on edges.
6. Christmas moss never took.

Why do things seem to be going downhill?

Tank:
PFS/organic potting soil mix base with Seachem fluorite black sand cap.

Weekly 15 gallon water changes, with liquid CO2 and Flourish

Finnex Ray light fixture, on timer for 8.5 hours daily.

Aquaclear 50 filter and a double sponge filter.

Root tabs occasionally.

Not sure where I'm going wrong. I have lost quite a few of my Oto cats to the filter intake, and I think they really helped keep some of the plants clean... But not sure about the rest.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Do you measure the level of nitrates in the water? Tank may not be cycled or just have such a low Bio load that the plants need nitrates! It is essential to growth in plants!

Try going to GLA http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/micro-macro-fertilizers.htmland buying the fertilizer starter pack, with your light it should help. You need macro and micro elements in there! Dirt substrate may help but adding fertz is a must.

Also trim all dead leaves and scrap all algae. Make sure filter is clean and also a ac50 may not have adequate flow for a 40b. Try a ph like a hydor evo 850 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4588+23592&pcatid=23592&r=414or a aqueon 750 for added flow.

For a 50-60$ investment you will see some positive change!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Well its been running for over 6 months now but it is lightly stocked. Haven't checked water in a while because it was always good.
Off the top of my head the stock now is
6 cory cats
3 Kuhli loaches
2 yoyo loaches
6 penguin tetras
1 betta
1 rubber lip plecos
4 or 5 amano shrimp.

No Oto cats have been seen lately they couldn't seem to stay off the filter intake...

Have a cascade canister I got for free I might throw on but afraid it would make too much flow for the betta, already dialed down the ac50...

Edit: i also do have a small wavemaker in there, forget what brand but it's a small one.

I figured between the flourish, fluorite sand, potting soil, and root tabs I'd be good on ferts... will test water this weekend or sooner.

Ac50 cleaned every other water change, sponge filter squeezed out in tank water every water change.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Pics could help. First post looks like you are adding liquid co2 once a week with wc. If thats your only carbon source that might be part of the issue because liquid co2 is only good for 24 hrs.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I've got a dumb question.
With all your water changes, you don't use salt, do you?

And starting a fresh new planted tank, you should start with florish excel.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
No I do not use salt, and didn't know the difference between Flourish and Flourish Excel...

I've been kicking around an idea of using a gravity drip IV bag to dose liquid C02... since I'm horrible at remembering to dose every day, since I basically wake up and go straight to work usually, and when I get home, the tank light is off, and I know Co2 needs light... Just not sure how to regulate the drip...

Did water testing tonight, API liquid kit...

pH - 7.6 as always
Ammonia - 0 (lemony yellow)
Nitrite - 0 (sky blue)
Nitrate - 10.0

Here's a pic from the media lounge, can see the water sprite. The closest stem (greenest) is the new one that just uncurled, behind it you can see the browner ones with fine algae on them. Can also see some of the growth on the scarlet temple.

Will try to get some better plant pics in the next couple of days as that one was focused on the fish.

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
I saw a great youtube video (sorry I don't have the link - could you do a search) on using Hydrogen Peroxide to curb Algae in a planted tank.
Really great results.
Maybe it could help you.
(Avoiding the problem rather than tackling the problem I know)

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I recommended flourish excel for a new planted tank because it helps with excess algae.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Well we only have one LFS store here in town. I know they have Flourish, I'll have to see if they have any flourish excel this weekend.
The tank did great for 3 or 4 months... now I'm starting to have the algae problem on the plants.

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Here's some pics just before my water change so the water is decently clear...

Water Sprite, branches dying off and algae
uploadfromtaptalk1402797318186.jpg

Argentine Sword, algae and holey leaves
uploadfromtaptalk1402797348283.jpg

Scarlet Temple, algae and holey leaves
uploadfromtaptalk1402797404021.jpg

Glosso, hanging on for dear life, only 4 or 5 tiny clumps left.
uploadfromtaptalk1402797438608.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store