Going to try and plant a tank

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
The lfs in my area has started carrying bags of seachem fluorite and onyx sand. The seachem website says that I only need to use one or the other. Any advice on this?
I plan on using low light plants.
It's going to be a 10 gallon betta tank.
I have one big concern. I've read that some of these plant substrates can cause big ammonia spikes. The tank currently has no filter. Just an air stone. So I'm guessing all the bb is the current sand, which I will be removing. Is this something I need to worry about the onyx sand or fluorite? My betta is about 2 1/2 years old and I want to make sure I do this with as little stress to him as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Also I'm set on buying one of the two substrates listed. I've read I can use potting soil but I love supporting this lfs so I would like to try one of these substrates.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used Fluorite in planted tanks, and it works very well, and never noticed an ammonia spike.
I did not like the look when using it alone, a bit too red (especially in photos)

I found by placing it under a layer of pool filter sand gave a more natural appearance, and having the sand more in the foreground, and fluorite toward the back wall more to my taste.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I'm not too concerned about the way it looks I just want to make sure the plants do well. So I can use the fluorite as a stand alone substrate, good lights, and maybe a liquid fertilizer and the plants should do alright?

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Flourite would be a fine stand alone substrate for a low tech tank, just be sure that you don't over light your 10 gallon and read up on fertilization, as knowing how to fertilize will save you a ton of future headache.

Fertilization isn't going to be terribly difficult for a low tech 10 gallon, no matter what method you use or what products you go with to fertilize.

Again, don't over light this tank. A single T8 bulb going the length of the tank that is of the proper spectrum (aim for maybe 6500K) will be low light and enough to grow a decent list of simple plants. If you wanted, you could go for two T8 bulbs of the proper spectrum to get medium lighting, but then you have to be on your game when it comes to fertilization.

Planted tanks are all about achieving balance.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
What are you doing for plants? Depending you dont need to change substrate. Flourite is a good substrate with iron and other minerals in it but not necessary for plants that feed from the water column such as mosses, anubias and java fern which are all the easiest and low light plants. If you are doing amazon swords, crypts and stuff that feeds from substrate then you should go with flourite

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
What are you doing for plants? Depending you dont need to change substrate. Flourite is a good substrate with iron and other minerals in it but not necessary for plants that feed from the water column such as mosses, anubias and java fern which are all the easiest and low light plants. If you are doing amazon swords, crypts and stuff that feeds from substrate then you should go with flourite
i currently have one anubias and a borneo fern as well. i also have some stuff that a friend of mine grows in his frog tanks that seem to thrive in cups in his closet haha. i would like to try swords and/or wendtii.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ya then substrate is needed. If you were sticking with fern and anubias id say just tie it to wood or rock and leave your substrate but other plants will benefit from plant specific substrate.

Also plants grow much easier out of water. I carpeted a 20g with HC in about 2 months. Keep that in mind if you try plants from your friends terrarium

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
i would think that a tank carpeted with hc would look really cool haha. he has them in cups of water though. thats why he offered to give me some. they are in a cups of water, with no substrate and no light and theyre growing.

can you give me any feed back on the lights i want to use? please refer to post #6.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store