What Direction to take our 300 gallon tank?

Bfreeman

Feeder Fish
Jun 9, 2014
Triad, North Carolina
Hi everyone! We just purchased a 300 gallon Marineland DD and the seller wanted the current residents to be moved with the tank. We now have the tank set up with a whole crew of mostly Cichlids that we don't know much about! I am researching right now, but know there are some experts here that may be able to give a quicker run through . I am interested to know what other fish would be comparable with these guys and any advice you all care to give. Thanks so much!

The residents are:
7 small Convict cichlids
5 large Parrot fish
1 large yellow peacock cichlid
1 medium Green Terror
2 Cory cats

the sump runs 1000 gallons an hour ( sorry if that's the incorrect phrasing)

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Congrats on the new tank! That is an awesome footprint that will allow for a ton of possibilities. Personally I would do what you want for stock and let the previous owners fish go to other homes or to a LFS. Seven convict will become a hundred.... lol

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
7 convicts! I guess start reading through here an decide what fish you like. In general, you could go the huge wet pet route with a Dovii or Umbee, you could do a fancy Pleco tank if you like those, you could fill it with Vieja. You could do amphilophus (trimac, chancho, Midas). Or you could do a truly huge planted tank. Go YouTube, search for "Pleco community tank", "Vieja community", amphilophus community, etc. figure out what looks good to you, and ask about pro's and con's of what you decide on. But you gotta pick one--don't try to do a little of each just because you have a big tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise

Bfreeman

Feeder Fish
Jun 9, 2014
Triad, North Carolina
So I take it the convicts are going to be trouble,eh?!

A planted tank is something I find really interesting and will look into.

Wow, the stingray looks amazing! Palm_, I see you are in NC as well. Where do you get stingrays?

Palm_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
North Carolina
I lived in V Beach a few years ago and the pet shop there carried them- I will look up the name for you. They had them about had sized for about $100- I really wanted one, but my largest tank was only a 55...

Palm_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
North Carolina
A planted tank might not do so well with so many very active fish, but hey- I am never a negative nanny, try it!. 300 gallon planted would be STUNNING!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store