I need your input (to help noobs) =)

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Alright

I am helping an organization in putting together some "fun facts" for people who are new to the hobby (saltwater aquarium specific). The audiance I am targeting is a wide age range but the focous is on millenials.

I am posting this because I want to know what you all thought was fun, helpful and intresting (either or both) that you learned or wanted to learn (or wish you had leanred) about when you first got into the hobby. If you are just getting in the hobby what did you find fun/intresting/helpful or what would you like to know?

I am trying to keep it short and simple but I want input from people who have gone through or are going through this process because its for anyone interested in the saltwater side of the hobby! :)

I appreciate any input!

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
The best thing I learned when starting out was the good 'ol K.I.S.S method (Keep It Simple Stupid). You don't need to over complicate things when trying to take care of a tank. Fish keeping is far more in depth than having something like a dog or a cat. We are in control of an entire ecosystem in a box - and we need to be aware how it all relates in order to maintain it.

The thing my daughter is really into right now is relationships between animals (symbiosis). She loves having fish/inverts that help each other (IE: She has an anemone crab). And of course thanks to Disney, every kid out there knows a clown fish lives in an anemone. She also love to see remoras and how they cling to sharks.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Matt took my clue.....the symbiosis thing in sw is unique...

Show them cleaning wrasses and shrimps at work....a smallish grouper or trigger with a cleaner is an awesome demonstration and it will hook a couple of them to the hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store