White tank treatment for stingrays.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Let's discuss....

What does white tanks,light base(sand),dark base do to the looks of your rays? Not short periods but over a long period of time. How much does lighting effect the looks of our rays?

Examples:

Do more spots come out on a black ray if put into a white tank?
Do the spots look whiter and fuller?
Would it make the spots looks smaller and yellow?
Would a light base for marble motoros bring out their pattern better and would they look even better put back into a dark base tank after a year of a light or white base? Would this also benefit a black ray?

How many people have experimented with their lighting and colors of the tank and what benefits could be seen in the rays by changing the color and lighting?

What works best for grooming a stingray to make it look it's best? Lights or the color of it's surroundings or a combination of both?

Can you even groom a ray to look a certain way to some extent or will it just revert back to it's original self?:confused:

ARE ANY OF THE CHANGES PERMANENT? :confused:

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
I can say for fact from my own personal experience that blue light brightens the white spots even more on henlei and bd's and bd/leos!

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
I went from white sand to black sand and my Marbles colors were more brilliant and his spots seemed to be jumping off him. I have all brown rays now, and all of them look better after the change.

image.jpg

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
maybe not related to white treatment, but I'm using Finnex Monster Ray led light and it brings out the colour of the my rays. I used to have blue and white leds but seems my new leds makes the rays colour pop.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
That's it only 3 people that have incite or can share experience in the subject.

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
All my marbles loses their orange/yellow base colors after being in black bottom tank for years. Once I moved them out to a lighter color bottom (white, light blue and ec) they regain their bright orange base color after a few weeks

I'll dig up some pics for comparison..

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Well I had pups in a clear floating box with T5 lighting on 8hrs a day and their spots were nice bright and big. The male has perimeter spotting and now that they have been in a grow out tank for the last month on gravel and dim lighting the spots appear smaller and the edge spotting is less noticable. So I would say light colored substrate,bare bottom or white tanks combined with good lighting appears to bring out the spots more on black stingrays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store