Help high nitrates.

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
I have high nitrates and it's clouding my water. My fish are a pair of fh one is 7" and the other is 4". What should I do?

1 wait till Thursday and buy the 75 that comes with a filter? I won't be able to set it up right away either

Or

2 just go buy a brand new bigger filter with the money for the upgrade and wait a few months on the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Nitrates are removed by water changes, or a heavily planted tank.
If you mean nitrites, you need to do the water changes until you fix the issue(under filtration, over feeding, poor water conditioner use.) If it's under filtration, it will likely take 2-4 weeks after adding a new filter for ammonia and nitrite to stop being an issue.

Again, high nitrates mean more frequent water changes are needed.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Do 2-3 water changes over the next 2-3 days. BIG water changes--at least 50%. Then test nitrates and see what you get. Try to get an idea how fast Nitrates climb in your tank. I think you need a bigger tank. Flowerhorns are gonna get bigger so you'll need a bigger tank at some point if you want to keep them.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Looks to me that you could benefit from a better understanding of how the nitrogen cycle works.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store