Cloudy Glass

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Long sorry short I got a used 30 long from a friend for free and set it up in my dining room. It's been setup for about two weeks now with fish in it (already cycled) and I noticed a small problem. When setting up I noticed the glass looked slightly foggy but there were a few oval shaped patches here and there that is was clear. I though water would make it go away since it was on the inside so I didn't mind it. Once setup I thought the cloudyness was from the decor loosing some dirt particles or something like that. Well at this point it's still cloudy and I can once again see the cloudiness on the glass with the ovals on it. This isn't a fishroom tank it's a display tank in a busy part of my house so I'd like it to be presentable and don't want dirty glass. I have no idea how to fix it or if it even can be fixed but it's annoying as heck, I'll upload pictures when I get home later.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Have you tried a Mr clean magic eraser? I use them to clean out hard to reach places in my tanks and to scrub my sumps. If it's just surface build up that should remove it. I just rinse them thoroughly beforehand

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Have you tried a Mr clean magic eraser? I use them to clean out hard to reach places in my tanks and to scrub my sumps. If it's just surface build up that should remove it. I just rinse them thoroughly beforehand

Just an FYI, main cleaning component of Mr Clean magic eraser is lye

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I wiped it vigorously for about an hour on and off when i set it up with a wet cloth and there's no sign its going away. Weird thing is its on the inside on the glass.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Just an FYI, main cleaning component of Mr Clean magic eraser is lye
Are you serious! It's a miracle I haven't killed fish! Disregard that advice asap

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's an ok picture, isn't showing any signs of improvement and is a real eye sore :(image.jpg

image.jpg

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp

This relieves stress and explains why it has had no ill effects on my fishes. No lye but formaldehyde, but it's bound to a physical form, not water soluble. If day old Ray pups can handle it, must not be too toxic.

Divemaster. I'm sorry I don't have a solution. Have you tried scraping with a razor?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I might try a razor when I get home later. Or if that doesn't work maybe try one of those magnetic algae removers. Somebody on nanfa recommended lemon juice but if have to drain my whole tank so that's a last resort if nothing else works. Worst case scenario I have to buy a new tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store