What fishing line do you use?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Father's Day around the corner I'm getting some new fishing line from my wife and kids. So what is a good line? I do shore line fishing, I would like if possible a line that can have good feel for small blue gills, to large salmon as I like to fish everything do you like mono or braided or is there something out there that would work?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
I use Power Pro for everything now, from creeks to catfish. Creek fishing in KY can wear light out in a hurry, I use 4-6lb test for the creek with a 2lb test diameter and you can cast a mile with braid, farther than mono, comes in many colors. For carp I use 4-8lb test and catfish I use 100lb braid only because the diameter is so small so I can spool a lot. I haven't changed the line on my cat rods for 3 years now, saved me a lot of money over the years.

mike_sema

Hail Hogs
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
HOT Water
I use Power Pro for everything now, from creeks to catfish. Creek fishing in KY can wear light out in a hurry, I use 4-6lb test for the creek with a 2lb test diameter and you can cast a mile with braid, farther than mono, comes in many colors. For carp I use 4-8lb test and catfish I use 100lb braid only because the diameter is so small so I can spool a lot. I haven't changed the line on my cat rods for 3 years now, saved me a lot of money over the years.
+1 best stuff I have ever used.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I ended up getting power pro 50 lb I did like it said and have a 5 yard starter of mono then probably 50 or so yards of the power pro I was going to line my kids poles since I have some power pro left but I heard you can't use it on closed face reels and truth to this?

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
There should be no reason why you can't use braid on a closed face reel. Braid will cast smoother and farther. Plus you can hold more line as the diameter is smaller than mono.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Power pro is insane. I can't even imagine going back to other line. I use 100 lb on my musky rod and 6 lb on my light gear.

The best part is there is not give in it so any little hit/bite you can feel perfectly. Also doesn't tangle up and form the spirals. Best line out there :)

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
There should be no reason why you can't use braid on a closed face reel. Braid will cast smoother and farther. Plus you can hold more line as the diameter is smaller than mono.
Only potential problem I can see is, with some or all closed face reels the line isn't always spread evenly across the spool inside, it tends to dig in and when you cast it, it get's caught on itself. But it may just work out for ya.

carl_d_c

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2014
Mineral Wells, Texas
I like PowerPro braid, I usually add a fluorocarbon leader, then I still have the feel of the braid, and the invisibility of the fluorocarbon at the lure, connect the two with a double uni knot,

and youishs beware the wacky worm!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store