Nile Perch care

TexanMFKer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
South Korea
I tried google but didnt find anything useful.
Can anyone tell me specific info and care tips on these guys.
Like feeding,water temp,water conditions and tankmates

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
These should get you started:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/lates-niloticus/

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/mix/nileperch.php

As far as water parameters and feeding goes, the species is widely considered to be a generalist (hence it being labeled as a serious invasive species, and being banned in several countries). Standard low to mid range tropical temps will suit them just fine, and mid to high range pH is preferred. Feeding shouldn't pose many problems, as again, this species is considered a generalist. I know many aquarists struggle to wean smaller individuals off of live foods, but once that is accomplished, feeding is basic and straightforward. Pellets, cut fish, prawns and the like, will all be accepted.

I should note though, as I'm sure you're already aware, this species is capable of growing to incredible sizes, and is truly one of the largest freshwater species in existence. Even relatively small specimens of 50-75 pounds, are well and truly beyond the care of most seasoned hobbyists. To grow one of these fish to its full genetic potential, a truly gargantuan system will be required, with equally scaled filtration and water changes. Not a fish for the faint of heart.

TexanMFKer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
South Korea
These should get you started:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/lates-niloticus/

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/mix/nileperch.php

As far as water parameters and feeding goes, the species is widely considered to be a generalist (hence it being labeled as a serious invasive species, and being banned in several countries). Standard low to mid range tropical temps will suit them just fine, and mid to high range pH is preferred. Feeding shouldn't pose many problems, as again, this species is considered a generalist. I know many aquarists struggle to wean smaller individuals off of live foods, but once that is accomplished, feeding is basic and straightforward. Pellets, cut fish, prawns and the like, will all be accepted.

I should note though, as I'm sure you're already aware, this species is capable of growing to incredible sizes, and is truly one of the largest freshwater species in existence. Even relatively small specimens of 50-75 pounds, are well and truly beyond the care of most seasoned hobbyists. To grow one of these fish to its full genetic potential, a truly gargantuan system will be required, with equally scaled filtration and water changes. Not a fish for the faint of heart.
Thanks

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
These are gr8 fish and have such a personality.seem to be getting more and more available. I have one at 23 inch in a tropical pond and 2 lates sp that are around 10-12 inch can be probmatic to get off live but a tip is whole dead fish drop in from top in some current or a deep tank and it resembles a dying fish and they will eventually take on the drop and over time will pick food up of the floor.grow to about 30 inch in a large tank

Sent from my SM-N9005 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lrudd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
washington DC
u will need a gigantic tank. I believe that nile perch are very closley related to barramundi and grow to gigantic sizes (400 lbs)

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
They do in the wild wont reach those sort of sizes in captivity and its the females that grow the largest ive read theres 2 males to every female mines in tropical pond.theres one at a public aquarium and thats at about 4 foot maybe bit smaller.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
hmmm

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
They do in the wild wont reach those sort of sizes in captivity and its the females that grow the largest ive read theres 2 males to every female mines in tropical pond.theres one at a public aquarium and thats at about 4 foot maybe bit smaller.

Males reached at least 170 cm in one study which collected numerous specimens and sexed them. It's probable that males get larger, but due to having many more females to males at larger sizes, you may have to collect a lot of specimens than are normally collected. I think 170 cm is close enough to 200 cm that it will not matter: both are gigantic fish.

"...they do in the wild won't reach those sort of sizes in captivity"----Yes, and sort of no. This is true of almost any fish that is raised in captivity due to not providing proper food, space and healthy water. 1) they die before full maturity 2) they never obtain the proper conditions to optimize their growth.

Large animals raised in adequate conditions often reach full size or exceed it, although the cost and effort to do so is obviously extreme.

To the OP: This fish will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth.

1) a 7,500 gallon aquarium or heated pond or larger
2) a plan to house the fish for 10+ years
3) a budget to feed a 250 lb fish at least 3.5 lbs of food per day (3.5 lbs net dry weight=1.4% to body weight. In wet weight, using cod as a food for example, that is 6 lbs per day.)
4) a budget to cover any meds that may be needed to treat 7,500 gallons of water
5) a plan on how to move a 250 lb fish if needed

TexanMFKer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
South Korea
Thanks everybody for the great info
I got one about 8~9inches yesterday.
Wont eat yet but showed interest in one of the feeders

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com