Dirty gravel help

mahsfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
I got some free aquarium gravel of someone. And it turns out that they didn't have lids on it and their dog sheds, so there is some hair in the gravel. Aswell as some strips of green stuff from fake Christmas trees.

I've rinsed it a few times to try cleaning it. And there's still some hair in it. Is this going to be okay for the fish in the tank? Like if its stuck at the bottom of the tank or wedged between the gravel? Or should I just not used the gravel. Or is there a better method of removing it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Just a few dog hairs shouldn't pose a problem but I would be more concerned with the fake stuff from the Christmas tree as that might cause blockage in any fish that try to eat it.

How much dog hair are you talking about?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
i would bleach the gravel either way. sounds nastie, easer in tank but but unless you have a way to fill and empty at the same time and a tank to do it in prob not an option. I agree, decoration stuff a a bigger issue. fish do not do plastic. tinsel well. will bind there guts.

mahsfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
i would bleach the gravel either way. sounds nastie, easer in tank but but unless you have a way to fill and empty at the same time and a tank to do it in prob not an option. I agree, decoration stuff a a bigger issue. fish do not do plastic. tinsel well. will bind there guts.
I decided I'm not going to use it. It was only the top half of the gravel. The stuff underneath it was cleaner and a whole different color which I like better. I'll probably just sell it for cheap and tell the person that it needs some cleaning.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store