Cost of plywood tank

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
Approximately, how much would it cost to build a 6x4x 4 plywood tank?

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
A little place called C At Hell
Approximately, how much would it cost to build a 6x4x 4 plywood tank?

Hello,

It would really depend on the stock, window size and filtration.

If the stock is going to be dirty, then higher turn over would be suggested. Your plan is for a tank that's 700g+...Which may require 2 3500gph pumps for 10x turn over. $200-300 for each pump, less $$ if the stock isn't filthy poop machines because the pumps wont have to be so strong.

If the window size is going to be 4' tall, then you're looking at 1" glass or thicker...which could run in the high hundreds. If you go with a 4' tank, with a 2' window...it would be considerably less. The window can be placed in the upper half of the tank, and a tall 125g can be stripped of the front glass to be used as the viewing window.

Also the inside of the tank could cost extra money depending on how you waterproof the tank. Liner or epoxy?

There are a lot of variables, and a lot planning should go into a plywood tank. I'm only in the planning stages of my 700g, but I'm looking at at least $1500. With metal stand, 10x turnover (2 3500gph pumps), and several hundred spend on an 8' window that's 2' tall.

However, I've had a local acrylic tank builder price the tank I want, and they were quoting $2400+ for only the tank!

I know MFK vets will post their experience, but the most wide ranging variables will be materials and where you live. The Midwest is much less expensive than the PNW for materials.

I dont want to burst your bubble, because all of these variables are variable...and you could get a lot of this stuff from 2nd hand sources and it could be much less than what you originally plan.

Either way, good luck and post pics!!

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
My 6x4x3 cost me roughly $1200. To go 1 foot higher the only real additional cost above mine would be the window. I was able to use a 1" thick sheet of acrylic you would need bare minimum 1.5" which is going to cost a WHOLE lot more :) You can see a breakdown of my cost (estimate) here.

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
I am in no way, shape or form ready for a build of this size just yet. I am starting my long road of researching here with y'all because I know that y'all know your stuff.

So, everyone is in agreement that the glass "viewing window" is the most costly thing? I'm not sure if living in Texas effects price one way or another.

I wanted to start with y'all in order to figure out what all materials are needed. I'll admit that I know absolutely know nothing about the build besides I need plywood and glass lol. So, as you can tell, I have a lot of research ahead of me. I'm extremely handy with power tools for a woman :what: haha.

I'm ADD and can't sit still for long lol. So, I was picturing, if funds are available, starting in the winter when I'm most stir crazy.

What do y'all use to seal/make leak & water proof? And obviously, I'm guessing the support is custom welded? No 2x4's or 4x4's lumber in this support?

The exact dimensions I'm looking at is 56"W/27"D/66"H including stand to fit this cubby
uploadfromtaptalk1402759791365.jpg

It would need to act as a stand for the TV as well without the hassle of moving the TV for water changes (I'm thinking hinged lid?). The other issue would be, with it being tucked away in the cubby, I would need easy access to filter, pumps, other electrical, etc. (cabinet doors in stand?)

Before I make this a novel, what I described above is what my build has accommodate. Questions are:

What's my material list?

Opinions on how to execute?

How big should my viewing window be, keeping cost efficient in mind but also look good since it will be the focal view?

How thick of glass?

Type of filtration for, most likely a Red terror pair and if room other compatible tank mates, and "clean up crew"?

Thanks in advance! Sorry I'm a little long winded

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store