Looking to get a gar

jmac412

Feeder Fish
Jun 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I'm relatively new to these kinds of fish but i was looking in to getting a gar in the future. i've had a lot of smaller fish in the past (Sharks, Barbs, things of that nature). My friend worked at a pet store and brought home an alligator gar for a while and it intrigued me. i've looked into it and i know that they need around 75 gallons to turn around and swim but ive seen some smaller gars that only get to around 8-12 inches. Would a smaller gar need as much as a bigger gar such as the florida or alligator gar? i'm looking to get around a 75 gallon tank and I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on the tank itself. I can not trust the workers at the local pet store because most of them probably dont know what they are talking about and are just trying to get more money out of me. Any piece of advice helps! Thanks!

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
Please do a little more research about true gars and minimum tank required. Any true gar should never be kept in a 75g, unless it's a juvenile.

Google pics of Florida or Alligator gars, these beasts don't stay under 12".

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Alligator gars get massive long nose get massive. Stick with a Florida or spotted but you will need a tank at least 30" wide.

jmac412

Feeder Fish
Jun 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I've looked into it a little more and now i see that keeping an alligator gar is well out of my range. Looking through other gar-like fish I see the Silver Hujeta or any other type of Hujeta would be a more suitable fish in my situation. Any advice on tank size/food/tank mates? I would love to feed it live fish but I don't think I want to get my feeders from petco... I've seen instances where owners have gotten them to eat freeze dried krill or freeze dried bloodworms. I'm open to anything and everything. thanks!

jmac412

Feeder Fish
Jun 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
Looking at Jack Dempseys as well. Trying to find a decently priced 55 gallon tank. Found a low priced 55 gallon at Walmart for around $175. Anyone have a say on the tank? I've learned that Walmart isn't exactly the most quality place but it's getting me the best bang for my buck. It comes in a kit with a tetra filter that I would probably just upgrade in the long run. Reviews say that the hood is cheap as well, could I have the hood replaced simply by just buying another model of hood that fits the tank? All advice helps! Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store