Tanning lights, experiences and questions

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi all. I will be getting a asian in the next year. Not 100% sure which one yet but i do like the reds. I have read many posts on the subject of tanning lights but i have a few questions for you experienced arrow keepers.
. Are tanning lights really necessary?
. If so are they only needed for certain kinds of arowana?
. I have a large tank with stingrays. I am worried that adding tanning lights under the water will change the look of the rays. I have 3 BD a Pearl and one Hybrid. These are my first love and i don't want to do anything to upset them or change their apperance (unless it is for the better obviously)
. Do any of ou guys keep rays and arrows together and use a tanning light in the same tank?

Any feed back warmly welcomed.

Thanks

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Jim

A red would be better for you as they get bigger

You will also need a large aro to go in your tank over 15" or the rays will pull it down

No need for tanning lights at all

Red take a lot longer to develops colour compared to golds

For me no fish should be subjected to lights 24/7 if we was to do that to a human with no time to rest it would be classed as torture

The rays would also hate it

You will also find with having a 4ft light tube in the water 24/7 it will boil the water

You need a red as red get to 3ft and golds max out at about 26"
A gold would look lost in your tank

You also have a gar if I remember right and they don't seam to get on that well with aro I know each fish is different but not worth the risk with a £800+ aro

Oh and it's aro with one r lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Hey, T1........I wish you would explain that about tanning in Chinese on the Asian forums. I think that is cruel as hell.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hey T1. Thanks for the very informative answer. That helps me a lot, cheers. Also helps me to confirm that it is a red that I will be getting. Just got to save up now!? I too am against the idea of lights 24/7 and would also have worries of the rays messing with the lamp. So you think I would get away with a red? My tank is a big footprint but only 2 feet tall. And yes I have 2 gars, both around 18". Guess I will have to shell out more money if I wanted to get a bigger than juvenile aro?
Jim

A red would be better for you as they get bigger

You will also need a large aro to go in your tank over 15" or the rays will pull it down

No need for tanning lights at all

Red take a lot longer to develops colour compared to golds

For me no fish should be subjected to lights 24/7 if we was to do that to a human with no time to rest it would be classed as torture

The rays would also hate it

You will also find with having a 4ft light tube in the water 24/7 it will boil the water

You need a red as red get to 3ft and golds max out at about 26"
A gold would look lost in your tank

You also have a gar if I remember right and they don't seam to get on that well with aro I know each fish is different but not worth the risk with a £800+ aro

Oh and it's aro with one r lol

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
24" deep tank isn't a problem with aros and rays

It's just the mid water fish that may have problems keeping out of the way

As for paying more for a larger aro that may not be the case as David Carr has imported so many he has killed the market in the UK
I have seen 15" red going for £550 just keep a look out on AC and even eBay

Nearly all the top notch reds you see on Asian sites are using fake red nan under water lights they are not just for tanning but viewing and taking pictures
This nan light doesn't have to be placed under the water they can be placed at the front of the tank on top of the cover glasses and turned on just with normal tank lights

I have never seen the point in nan light as you are just trying to kid people into thinking the aro is better than it is

I lent a nan light to prove my point some time ago just for a day

You can see what it looks like in this video

http://youtu.be/xDCA_FNtHAs

You never tan golds and they look silly under nan lights

The trick is with aros is buy one and stick with it I have had over 20 aros buying and selling to get something better in effect cashing the dragon
This isn't a good idea my aro isn't the best around but the size of it is a great mix with my big ST and they are very well matched yes they have the odd fight which you will get in and mixed comm tank but you never get a clear winner and most of the time they get along fine

You have nothing to worry about aro (one R) and rays get along just fine

The ?s you should be asking is aro and gars

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks for the info T1. Take the point the point of aro (one R) lol. I guess I will spend the next year deciding what to do. Cheers for the help.
24" deep tank isn't a problem with aros and rays

It's just the mid water fish that may have problems keeping out of the way

As for paying more for a larger aro that may not be the case as David Carr has imported so many he has killed the market in the UK
I have seen 15" red going for £550 just keep a look out on AC and even eBay

Nearly all the top notch reds you see on Asian sites are using fake red nan under water lights they are not just for tanning but viewing and taking pictures
This nan light doesn't have to be placed under the water they can be placed at the front of the tank on top of the cover glasses and turned on just with normal tank lights

I have never seen the point in nan light as you are just trying to kid people into thinking the aro is better than it is

I lent a nan light to prove my point some time ago just for a day

You can see what it looks like in this video

http://youtu.be/xDCA_FNtHAs

You never tan golds and they look silly under nan lights

The trick is with aros is buy one and stick with it I have had over 20 aros buying and selling to get something better in effect cashing the dragon
This isn't a good idea my aro isn't the best around but the size of it is a great mix with my big ST and they are very well matched yes they have the odd fight which you will get in and mixed comm tank but you never get a clear winner and most of the time they get along fine

You have nothing to worry about aro (one R) and rays get along just fine

The ?s you should be asking is aro and gars

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store